Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Sydney Job Market (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97300)

Harkoliar 04-18-2007 08:44 PM

Okay then, so I am finally graduating Uni (Thank God!).

So now, my status is a graduating student or in other words = BUM/Unemployed. I need some help from fellow sydney-siders on how do you get into the job market. I have noticed that alot of the jobs required are experience needed. It is kind of ironic because I am looking for experience to get into jobs that need experience.

Any tips around there where to look and such in Sydney? (Sydney area not Sydney CBD only) [img]tongue.gif[/img]

oh yeah, I took up Bachelor of Commerce so field is in Business.

Captain Obvious 04-18-2007 09:43 PM

While i know nothing about the sydney job market, you might be best to contact a recruitment agency. Esp for BCom's, they are often quite good at placing you.

what is your major? what do you want to do?

Hivetyrant 04-18-2007 10:23 PM

As captain Obvious said, you need to sign up to a few job recruitment agencies.

While it's all well and good to have a Uni degree these days, as you will soon see, they are after experiance more often than not and thats a hard thing to get. Not because finding a job is hard, but because you may have to start at the bottom, and I know a lot of people that refuse to do crappy jobs to get experiance :(

However, my knowledge of the commerce job field is very limited so I'll keep quiet [img]smile.gif[/img]

Larry_OHF 04-18-2007 10:27 PM

<font color=skyblue>It has been my experience that the whole "experience needed" is not a requirement. Basically, if the employer likes you well enough, he or she has the right to wave any or all prerequisits that are on the description...most of which are only there to weed out the people who have no business trying to apply there. At least here in the US, a BA in any field qualifies me to apply to a wide range of positions that do not even have anything to do with my degree.

Also...sometimes the phrasing "x years job-related experience" does not mean experience at that position...it means experience at any job where you were in a profession and being paid for it.

Just to reinerate with what I have learned: your business major simply gives you a key to try anything you like. You do not have to have experience in what you are applying for. If the boss likes you during the interview, and feels that you fit in with his staff...you have the job.</font>

Harkoliar 04-18-2007 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
While i know nothing about the sydney job market, you might be best to contact a recruitment agency. Esp for BCom's, they are often quite good at placing you.

what is your major? what do you want to do?

I did a double major in Marketing. I did have an inkling for International Business as a minor but it was my last semester when I found out how much fun I had in that subject. so i missed out by 2 subjects make it a minor. (doh!)

Im just shooting in the dark in the Job Market at the moment, so I would like to know any reputable Recruitment agency here in Sydney if there is any [img]smile.gif[/img] .

To Larry:
Thanks for the tip. Ill keep it in mind. The tough thing is getting to the interview stage in the first place as employers tend to look at your CV beforehand.

Bungleau 04-19-2007 08:47 AM

Getting that first job is always a challenge [img]smile.gif[/img]

Some things to consider...

</font>
  • What do you want to do? Be in sales, marketing, accounting, operations, IT, management... what? Without that, you're falling into the "please hire me...please!" group, where you get to end up in whatever job no one else wants.</font>
  • Once you've figured that out, take a look at what makes people in that line of work valuable. Hit the library for training tapes and CDs about whatever the subject is. For sales, there are lots of motivation and technique offerings. For management, leadership and execution topics. For accounting, rules, regulations, and interpretations of how they apply in today's business.</font>
  • Ask people in that line of work what they would like to see in someone coming in to fill that role. Let them tell you what's important, and then go learn about it and do it.</font>
  • Find organizations related to that role and get involved. And I don't mean just attend meetings. Get involved... help out with events, develop some knowledge and share it... Only one of my professional jobs came from something other than networking, and I got that one because they checked their own network, found people who knew me (aka my network), and decided it would be worth it.</font>
  • Treat finding a job like a job itself. Schedule your time to research companies you'd like to work for, people you'd like to work for, and places you'd like to work.</font>
  • Figure out why they should hire you. "Mr Jones, in my years at Uni I was responsible for managing the finances for my fraternity. Through my management, we successfully eliminated $2,000 in unnecessary expenses while still meeting and even exceeding the expectations of all our members. I'd like the opportunity to put that fiscal responsibility to work for you, and can start as early as Monday, if that would work for you."</font>
If all you're doing is asking for a job, you might as well go to McDonald's. If you're going to offer them a service based on what you can provide, and if that service meets a need that they have, you can get a career. Which is a hell of a lot better than a job any day.

Good luck!

wellard 04-19-2007 04:44 PM

Harks ... congrats on surviving Uni :D WOW it seems like yesterday we were welcoming you to Australia.

buy a surfboard and relax on the beach for 6 months, you will never get this chance again.

If ya HAVE to work, go to an agency and temp around for a while, try everything and anything. Do not be choosey, just get a feel for what you like and want you do not like.

Aragorn1 04-19-2007 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Harkoliar:
Okay then, so I am finally graduating Uni (Thank God!).
I am contemplating this prospect now, and nothing seems more horrific. I have to finally decide what to do with my life (its not fair i have to do this in my 2nd year, get a job where they expect me to arrive before ten and stay until after 2, except for the odd 4 or 5 o'clock, and to not turn up after having 5 hours sleep. All in all real life and responsibility seem scary and to be avoided at all costs! :D

Harkoliar 04-20-2007 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by wellard:
Harks ... congrats on surviving Uni :D WOW it seems like yesterday we were welcoming you to Australia.

buy a surfboard and relax on the beach for 6 months, you will never get this chance again.

If ya HAVE to work, go to an agency and temp around for a while, try everything and anything. Do not be choosey, just get a feel for what you like and want you do not like.

Yeah time flies pretty quick [img]tongue.gif[/img] cant believe its been 4 years since we both just met up for Manly lol! Damn memnoch :D

Harkoliar 04-20-2007 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bungleau:
Getting that first job is always a challenge [img]smile.gif[/img]

Some things to consider...

</font>
  • What do you want to do? Be in sales, marketing, accounting, operations, IT, management... what? Without that, you're falling into the "please hire me...please!" group, where you get to end up in whatever job no one else wants.</font>
  • Once you've figured that out, take a look at what makes people in that line of work valuable. Hit the library for training tapes and CDs about whatever the subject is. For sales, there are lots of motivation and technique offerings. For management, leadership and execution topics. For accounting, rules, regulations, and interpretations of how they apply in today's business.</font>
  • Ask people in that line of work what they would like to see in someone coming in to fill that role. Let them tell you what's important, and then go learn about it and do it.</font>
  • Find organizations related to that role and get involved. And I don't mean just attend meetings. Get involved... help out with events, develop some knowledge and share it... Only one of my professional jobs came from something other than networking, and I got that one because they checked their own network, found people who knew me (aka my network), and decided it would be worth it.</font>
  • Treat finding a job like a job itself. Schedule your time to research companies you'd like to work for, people you'd like to work for, and places you'd like to work.</font>
  • Figure out why they should hire you. "Mr Jones, in my years at Uni I was responsible for managing the finances for my fraternity. Through my management, we successfully eliminated $2,000 in unnecessary expenses while still meeting and even exceeding the expectations of all our members. I'd like the opportunity to put that fiscal responsibility to work for you, and can start as early as Monday, if that would work for you."</font>
If all you're doing is asking for a job, you might as well go to McDonald's. If you're going to offer them a service based on what you can provide, and if that service meets a need that they have, you can get a career. Which is a hell of a lot better than a job any day.

Good luck!

great advice! Ill think about what you said. I am still waiting for someone to point me to a good recruitment agency to just get a feel around the market though [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 04-20-2007, 05:15 AM: Message edited by: Harkoliar ]