Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II Archives (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Monks are awesome (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58815)

AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe 11-09-2001 07:26 PM

When I first saw what a monk was I thought it was a waste. Why am I scowering Amn looking for cool weapons when this guy can't even really use any of them. Forget that. Then one game when i got minsc i shadowkeeped him into a monk. now hes at about level 20 right now and hes kicking the buttocks of evil all over the place. his savings throws are so low hes nearly immune to everything, and his fists are considered as +(something ridiculous)weapons, and his aromor class is like -8 or something. Basically he rocks. Go fighting monks!! long live the bald headed ones!!

jabidas 11-09-2001 07:57 PM

Yes Monks are a very powerful class, the whole 100% magic resistance come ToB is excellent as well

Zerthimon 11-09-2001 11:10 PM

I thought monks had the little pony tail thingies...

250 11-09-2001 11:13 PM

monks suck...

I personally executed 20 of them

Morgan_Corbesant 11-10-2001 02:14 AM

chaincontingency-three lower resistances. spell trigger, greater malasion, spook, slow. then grease (great spell)= a monk that is a sitting duck. follow it by timestop, energy-blades, and a couple flame-arrows, and the monk is chop-suey, (in my humble opinion of course) just from personal experiences. heh heh

Morgan_Corbesant 11-10-2001 02:16 AM

oh yeah, thats just to say that all of that GOES through. monks are fairly nifty however, its just that i have JUST now aquired an extreme fondness for the all-powerfull sorceror.

250 11-10-2001 02:18 AM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Morgan_Corbesant:
chaincontingency-three lower resistances. spell trigger, greater malasion, spook, slow. then grease (great spell)= a monk that is a sitting duck. follow it by timestop, energy-blades, and a couple flame-arrows, and the monk is chop-suey, (in my humble opinion of course) just from personal experiences. heh heh<hr></blockquote>

yeah rukt, what are you fighting? you are fighting moron

a monk can chope a sorc easily, in fact, all magic users die like flies in BGII

Sir ReGiN 11-10-2001 02:42 AM

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Morgan_Corbesant:
chaincontingency-three lower resistances. spell trigger, greater malasion, spook, slow. then grease (great spell)= a monk that is a sitting duck. follow it by timestop, energy-blades, and a couple flame-arrows, and the monk is chop-suey, (in my humble opinion of course) just from personal experiences. heh heh<hr></blockquote>

You're forgetting that monks have a pretty high MR...
All of that won't go through. and then you'd have to start casting new spells, and then..YOU'LL be chop suey! ;)

250 11-10-2001 03:34 AM

a spell trigger X 3 lower resis is 105+
how high is monk's MR? huh?

that is not the problem, magic is simply too weak in BGII

Dundee Slaytern 11-10-2001 04:30 AM

Assuming NO Robe of Vecna and Amulet of Power.

Assuming Monk is level 40, and Mage/Sorcerer is level 31( 8,000,000 Xp).

Contingency: Stoneskin cast on self when enemy sighted
Chain Contingency: Protection from Magical Weapons, Mislead and True Sight cast on self when enemy sighted

Cast Time-Stop when fight starts, Monk cannot hit the Sorcerer to disrupt spellcasting, since he is protected by Stoneskin and PfMW( Contingencies will trigger).

During Time-Stop, cast Imprisonment on Monk. ;)

If Monk used Protection from Magic scroll, then just stay invisible for 10 turns( 10 minutes), just remember to recast PfMW when the time runs out.

Monk cannot go invisible, True Sight takes care of that.