Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wizards & Warriors Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Wizards and Worriors and Win XP (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98689)

Domber 02-15-2008 12:51 PM

Wizards and Worriors and Win XP

Hello,
I have a problem with W&W on Win XP .My install went fine but whenever I try to get into the game I get an error message that says."The Instruction at 00423dba referenced memory at 018f0000,the memory could not be written" When I did some looking around on the net I found that Win XP can't read the Avi files because the codec is old,or something like that.I also found a link to Virtualdub. Would this be the same problem as talked about in the tech tips thread 6)windows issues Or is this something different altogether?
Thanks
Dave

win xp sp2
2.4ghz
1gig ram
nvidia GT 8500 pro
creative labs 24 bit live
2 hd, WD 200 GIG,Seagate 200 gig
dvd rom,dvd litescribe

Law 02-15-2008 02:06 PM

Re: Wizards and Worriors and Win XP

You will want to Virtualdub the AVI files but that does not usually cause this problem.

I would try setting the "Run in compatibility mode" to Win95 (or Win98)

See this item (6.2) in the Tech Tips thread.
http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/cg...=4&t=007547#62

If that does not do it try the items about the Video Codecs.

Domber 02-15-2008 02:18 PM

Sorry,I forgot to mention about the compatibility mode,I have tried win 95,98 and both didn't work for me.I have also shut down everything before running the game,antivirus,firewall ect... but still get the same error,both patches are also installed

Domber 02-15-2008 05:48 PM

Well,I tried the Virtualdub thing with the avi files and that did no good at all,so I may have to just do a dual boot and put win 98 back on and play it that way,unless someone else has an idea that might help

Shadow Stranger 02-15-2008 06:44 PM

With the avi problem, the game runs fine but you can't enter a lot of the buildings in the towns. In Valeia, you also can't use the east town gate from inside the town.

If you have tried Windows 98 compatibility and the patches, the only thing that I can think of is a "maximum install", which nowadays anyone can do.

It works fine on my Windows XP, I did a maximum install and I used the Activision patch. Off hand I can't think of any other patches.

Domber 02-15-2008 07:14 PM

I just uninstalled it and will try again,maybe something didn't install right I'll also try the Activision patch
Thanks Shadow

Domber 02-15-2008 08:07 PM

hey Shadow what "Activision patch" were you talking about.I can only find the one unofficial patch.

Domber 02-15-2008 08:27 PM

heres another thing I should mention,I didn't install the game in the program files directory where it wanted to install I put it on my G: drive,would that cause a problem?

Shadow Stranger 02-15-2008 08:46 PM

The patch I was referring to is the one that you find on the Downloads page of the W&W site: it is actually by Heuristic Park not Activision and thus unofficial.

There is a game file, SSPath.dat, that contains the following:
"INSTALL C:\Program Files\Activision\WizardsWarriors
CDROM D:
NARRATOR C:\Program Files\Activision\WizardsWarriors\SPEECH
SPEECH C:\Program Files\Activision\WizardsWarriors\SPEECH
MOVIE C:\Program Files\Activision\WizardsWarriors\MOVIE
MUSIC C:\Program Files\Activision\WizardsWarriors\MUSIC"

(Edited)
This infers that installing to any other drive, like a G: drive, could cause a total crash. So check that the version of this file on your hard drive in fact has been written with G: not C:.

Bungleau 02-15-2008 08:58 PM

I never install the game in Program Files, so that's not the problem (unless SSPath.dat is corrupted, as Shadow Stranger pointed out).