Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Who are the worlds best cycling nation? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91420)

Yorick 08-26-2004 01:37 PM

That would be the Aussies! :D Winning 5 out of 12 possible gold medals at the velodrome! Easily the best cycling nation! Go you good thing, go! :D :D :D

dplax 08-26-2004 01:42 PM

Where were they in the Tour de France then? I mean general because of course I admit that McEwen is a good sprinter along with O'Grady, but I would say that as the best cycling nation:

France has probably the most good cyclists, while the spanish and germans aren't too bad in the mountains. It would be a hard choice.

By best, do you mean the best on a road race or in a velodrome or combined?

johnny 08-26-2004 01:44 PM

during the olympics they were definitely impressive, and with swimming as well.

Yorick 08-26-2004 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dplax:
Where were they in the Tour de France then? I mean general because of course I admit that McEwen is a good sprinter along with O'Grady, but I would say that as the best cycling nation:

France has probably the most good cyclists, while the spanish and germans aren't too bad in the mountains. It would be a hard choice.

By best, do you mean the best on a road race or in a velodrome or combined?

I mean "who won the most cycling medals at the olympics". Sure France and Spain have a lot of cyclists. They also have a lot of PEOPLE. ;) The Aussies though, won the most golds, by a long, long shot. Easily the best cycling nation. :D :D :D

Cheers Johnny. I was blown away by the swimmers. Swimming and cycling are our thing it seems. (Outside cricket and Aussie rules football)

johnny 08-26-2004 02:13 PM

And what about baseball ? That was the biggest upset of the olympics. :D They beat Japan in the semi's and play Cuba in the finals, or is that game already played ?

Aelia Jusa 08-26-2004 04:31 PM

Yeah, already played, Cuba won 6-2 (though there was a contentious unpiring decision that cost us runs - the Cubans had a catch that bounced off the wall accepted as an out). But silver is an amazing result. Also we beat Japan twice - once during the preliminaries, 9-4, then 1-0 during the semis. So proud of the boys!

I was so thrilled to see Stuey get his gold medal at last, and the others were just superb as well. Although, I do find it a little amusing when the media keeps saying things like 'with the doping scandal in the lead-up to the games, the cycling team has responded in the best possible way'... uh, I dunno, but I would have thought the WORST way to respond to a claim that the cyclists were on drugs was to go out and win heaps of medals :D

Note that I DON'T think any of our cyclists were on drugs, just amused by the irony of it ;)

dplax 08-26-2004 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Yorick:
I mean "who won the most cycling medals at the olympics". Sure France and Spain have a lot of cyclists. They also have a lot of PEOPLE. ;) The Aussies though, won the most golds, by a long, long shot. Easily the best cycling nation. :D :D :D

How did they do in the road races? Cycling does not only consist of the velodrome, although I admit that 5 out of 12 isn't bad.

Hivetyrant 08-26-2004 07:14 PM

Australia, although behind the USA, is doing quite well I think, apparently we are doing good in hockey aswell, although I saw on the news that the Water Polo didnt go so well, and im dissapointed to see no (well none that I could see) Austalians in the weightlifting, Most running races, or any of the fighting events, but that could just be me, I havnt been waching everyday.
Anyway, yes we Australians are the BEST cycling nation. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Tasslehoff Burrfoot 08-26-2004 07:53 PM

America man. Totally.
We got Armstroung

Variol (Farseer) Elmwood 08-26-2004 08:03 PM

Da woman won for Canada eh!