Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Problem with my monitor (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91454)

Xen 08-30-2004 02:27 PM

Hi. Since yesterday I have a little problem with my monitor wich is rather annoying. I will try to "draw" the monitor:

*xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx*
*xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx*
*xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx *
*xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx*
*xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx*

So you see where the stars (*) are? By the sides of the monitor? Well here my problem is. Picture sometimes starts "shaking" /blurring if you know what I mean. I`ve read somewhere that this might be caused becuase my speakers are just next to the monitor. One on each side. Can this problem be solved?

[ 08-30-2004, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: Xen ]

aleph_null1 08-30-2004 02:46 PM

One of my people had this because (I think) his massive subwoofer was right behind the little flatscreen monitor. We tried degaussing / &tc. to no avail, and eventually he just got another monitor.

Now another of my guys had the same problem, to a lesser degree, for no apparent reason -- he had no speakers and claimed to have been careful about magnets & the like. I fixed that one just by degaussing the thing (should be under one of the monitors settings windows {or may even be a button right on the thing}). You'll see the screen shake about for a little while & maybe hear some noises.

Good luck!

Xen 08-30-2004 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by aleph_null1:
One of my people had this because (I think) his massive subwoofer was right behind the little flatscreen monitor. We tried degaussing / &tc. to no avail, and eventually he just got another monitor.

Now another of my guys had the same problem, to a lesser degree, for no apparent reason -- he had no speakers and claimed to have been careful about magnets & the like. I fixed that one just by degaussing the thing (should be under one of the monitors settings windows {or may even be a button right on the thing}). You'll see the screen shake about for a little while & maybe hear some noises.

Good luck!

OK. I found the deguass option. But I have not chosen it yet. Can anything go wrong? And can I turn off my speakers for the time of deguassing becuase as you said some noise can be heard?

aleph_null1 08-30-2004 02:59 PM

I don't see why you should worry (though I admit I just troubleshoot w/out ever really understanding stuff :D ).

Though if your speakers are causing it, they should be moved anyway...

Xen 08-30-2004 03:05 PM

Quote:

I don't see why you should worry (though I admit I just troubleshoot w/out ever really understanding stuff :D ).

Though if your speakers are causing it, they should be moved anyway...

Well that`s the bloody problem. I am not sure if the speakers are causing it, I just have my suspects. :D Another problem I have is that cable for the speakers are pretty short so I can`t really move them around.
ADD: Well I have deguassed it and it stopped shaking. I hope for good not just for today. Thanks for all the help! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

[ 08-30-2004, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: Xen ]

aleph_null1 08-30-2004 03:31 PM

No prob, Xen. It's good to feel useful sometimes [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Xen 08-30-2004 03:40 PM

Quote:

Noooo. It started again. :( ARGH!

Dron_Cah 08-30-2004 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Xen:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by aleph_null1:

Noooo. It started again. :( ARGH! </font>[/QUOTE]Well, there goes that helpful thing. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Maybe you just need to deguass the monitor evry now and then? Also, maybe a different setup with the speakers?

Bungleau 08-30-2004 05:19 PM

The issue with the speaker is that they have magnets in them. And magnets close to the monitor don't help the monitor out. Moving them about eight inches (roughly 20cm) from the monitor should eliminate any speaker interference, and be fairly easy to test.

That's the good news. The bad news is that can also happen if the monitor itself goes bad. I had one develop a bad flywheel, and the thing had to be replaced. So try moving the speakers first...

Stormymystic 08-30-2004 05:25 PM

mine does it if I forget and leave my cell phone there, and it rings, could be something causing interference, not sure though....