Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   NWN Mod: Escape from Undermountain (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Should I merge the 2 haks? (Arnaden and my new one) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38272)

Ziroc 04-28-2006 06:40 PM

The reason is, It would reduce confusion a great deal. Instead of "The CEP + Arnaden PLUS another" we would do "CEP + EFU hak". easy.

The files will be split into 7 haks, like my efu. like:

efu_place01.hak
efu_tiles01.hak
efu_patch01.hak
efu_2da.hak
efu_tex01.hak
efu_models_hak
efu_sounds.hak

I know it sounds like MORE haks, but its more of ONE Hakpak set. not 2. And upgrades would go easy, and smaller files to add if needed. These would be zipped all into 2 zipfiles or rarfiles, or 1 big old file. (your choice to choose either).

Reason is that Arnaden is just old, and I've replace a lot of it in MY haks.
Give me some feedback guys. I wanna know your thoughts on this.

Thanks! [img]smile.gif[/img]

javan 04-28-2006 07:04 PM

I believe in the “Keep It Simple” philosophy. Merging the EfU hak packs would simplify things for new joiners. [img]graemlins/jumpclap.gif[/img]

So, yes, combine them into a single set of haks. Like you say, if the filesize of the set is too big to download at once then it can be broken down into managable pieces.

Mozenwrathe 04-28-2006 10:33 PM

How long would it take to do the coding for such a thing? I mean, if the Arnaden.hak is that old and you have incoporated all you needed from it to begin with, how long would it take for you to reconstruct your *.Hak files with all the new items required?

Ziroc 04-28-2006 11:04 PM

Well, I am almost done merging it [img]smile.gif[/img] So easy. So now I can feel at ease to finish the final things. aaahhhhh. [img]smile.gif[/img] Was worried for a bit about the patch--but I just finished the updates, so all is cool.

robertthebard 04-29-2006 12:19 AM

Merge 'em, if there are dupe files, those of us that have 'em can overwrite.

Mozenwrathe 04-29-2006 08:49 AM

Well, there are a lot of servers I used to go on that I believe used CEP version 1.52 in order to maximize their creative content. If I am not mistaken, the latest CEP version and your personal *.hak files would have completely different names, yes? If so, then it should not be a problem for us to simply drop the new (and more efficient) files into the folders required and run it. I should have the room for it, and I'll be double checking this evening to see what *.hak files I no longer require in my directory. (If that doesn't work, I'll just remove a DVD's worth of music I am not currently listening to on a regular basis I figure.)

My question now is with the new files going in place, if I have a lot of *.Hak files in my expansion directory, will that slow down your module's access times? If it doesn't, then really I (and most people who have room to spare on the hard drive) should not have much to worry about. If a lot of the whittling down is to remove multiple occasions of the same file, then I am all for it. A gesture such as having the *.hak files in Big Gulp and Little Sipper versions would also be appreciated.

Another question is where would one even GET the old Arnaden.hak file any longer? Do you still have it up on the download section here? And out of the original *.Hak file, what have you dropped from it in favour of the newer models and items which have made themselves available since the inception of CEP 1.52?

[ 05-01-2006, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: Mozenwrathe ]

Ziroc 04-29-2006 06:41 PM

I didn't drop anything from the Arnaden hak, I redid some models--some shadow errors. Hell, I even fixed loads of CEP Models that were broken--the altar in the corner by that house in the lake of shadows is a good example. Have you see that? look at it from all angles.. [img]smile.gif[/img] weird!

Durnan's boots have shadow errors too--and cookie's bottom jaw. *Which you can see now online* lol. fixed!

Get this, when I downloaded the beta3 patch, and needed to see what was inside, I had to install it on my other system's NWN (because I couldn't patch the server version), then, moved the ENTIRE patched NWN dir via LAN to this system in a 'patched NWN' folder. well, my C: Drive ran down to ZERO bytes free. !! hahah.. so I had to burn tons of stuff I had kept in a dloads folder for months--was gonna burn anyway.... but once I extracted the changes, I killed the dir. (NWN with 2 expansions is BIG!)

As soon as this hak is released, you can nuke the arnaden hak files as well as the dwarvenhalls hak. (But keep the arnadencep.tlk file--you still need this)

[ 04-29-2006, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: Ziroc ]

Mozenwrathe 04-29-2006 07:17 PM

Interesting. Never noticed there were flaws in the Lake Of Shadows area before. Was usually too busy sprinting through it so that certain hordes would not kill me outright. So you are saying that once the new *.Hak files are completed, both the arnaden.hak file and the dwarvenhalls.hak files (wherever I may have stored them) will have become redundant and I will be able to remove them at will? That is good news, considering that soon I should be doing a clearning burn session to remove a few dozen songs off of my hard drive.

In fact, I should do a little check to see how much room I have left now... Okay, still looking good at around 20GB free. Considering all the games I SHOULD delete as I am not using them (about three or four of them) I might have enough to keep said redundant files if I get nervous. Come to think of it, how large IS your current hard drive? I was contemplating a second one, but every time I get close to affording it, I end up clearing off the space with DVDs.

(edited for crack happy goodness)
I wonder if they did that whole SetTattoo() thing that Progenitor was talking about. It will definitely make for brand new character designs if nothing else. I have to go over the listing for all the alterations within patch 1.67 to see what is actually available that the regular unwashed masses can take distinct and immediate advantage of.

[ 05-01-2006, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: Mozenwrathe ]

T-D-C 04-30-2006 06:05 AM

Merging the Hakpacks would be the best bet. It will make it easier when acquiring new players and in tracking down any potential problems.

Vote 1 for the merge!

robertthebard 04-30-2006 07:02 AM

The altar in the crypt on the Haunted Isle is the same way. The other place that I can remember off hand was the void plane.