Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Why is NWN lagging? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35430)

Kaltia 05-17-2003 01:49 PM

I recently was overwhelmed with the urge to play NWN again. So, I got the box down from the "Games I'm not playing for a bit", installed it, and tried to hop into the original module to get the feel of things again. To my horror, it's lagging so bad, I swear that a complete 360 degree orbit by the camera takes five minutes. I have a fairly decent computer, and it's certainly not an *old* machine, so, for SMS slang users everywhere...WTF?!

philip 05-17-2003 02:16 PM

have you set the video options to the lowest to see if that works?

Kaltia 05-17-2003 02:39 PM

Yes. [img]graemlins/1pissed.gif[/img]

philip 05-17-2003 04:24 PM

little hd space free or an always-on internet connection?
edit: is it the only game/program that's lagging?

[ 05-17-2003, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: philip ]

Kaltia 05-17-2003 04:50 PM

It seems to be the only game that's lagging, but due to it being the second of the only two games I've installed...*shrug*. As for the always online internet connection: Yes.

SpiritWarrior 05-18-2003 03:07 AM

Well post your stats here Kaltia (OS, vid card, drivers, speed etc.) and we'll have a look. Did it lag like this beforehand when you played or no?

Kaltia 05-20-2003 10:44 AM

According to drive E properties (I have no idea how to anything otherwise), I'm using 3.46GB, with 8.85GB free. "AMD Athlon Processor, 800MHz, 512MB of RAM

Micah Foehammer 05-20-2003 12:10 PM

FWIW, your machine should be fast enough and you appear to have plenty of ram. I am running NWN on a P3 800, with 512 megs of ram, (very similiar to your machine). I rarely experience lag and then only in mplayer games.

Larry_OHF 05-20-2003 12:17 PM

<font color=skyblue>If you were to call their customer support, the first thing they would probably have you do is delete your game's temp folder. Alot of junk gets built up there and distracts the game. Seems that Ronn was having trouble of similar sort a long time ago, and found out that it had something to do with his printer or something like that. Have you installed any new hardware or software recently? Do you have any spyware programs hogging your resources? Try shutting down alot of stuff in the Task Manager that are not vital. These are some of the successes of the past. If not, then try a search on this forum to see what others have done. There are some old threads about lagging throughout this forum's history.</font>

Granamere 05-20-2003 01:27 PM

Kaltia you say this is the second game you have installed so I take it this is either a new computer or you reloaded your old computer. If this is a new computer what type of video card does it have? If it is the old one and you know it ran fine this is kind of a mute question.

Either way the two things I would do is run windows update until everything is updated. One of the big ones here to make sure is updated is Direct X. Then I would down load the latest video driver for your video card and install it.

I hope this helps,
Granamere

Also early Happy Birthday. Unless you read this on or after May 22. [img]graemlins/happybirthday.gif[/img]

[ 05-20-2003, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: Granamere ]