Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wizards & Warriors Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Trouble targeting and attacking (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98830)

Elviessa 03-15-2008 12:41 AM

Trouble targeting and attacking

For some reason I can't seem to target a monster i.e have the cursor turn into a target so I can attack, unless I put it on exactly the right spot and even then I can usually only attack one monster in a group. What should I do to Fix it?

aleph_null1 03-15-2008 02:43 AM

Re: Trouble targeting and attacking

It's a compatibility issue, I'll bet. Right click on the shortcut or deep6.exe itself, click the Compatibility tab, and select "Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows 98 / ME"

Had the same problem myself. And welcome to the boards :D

Elviessa 03-15-2008 01:33 PM

That didn't seem to work. I use windows xp btw

Bungleau 03-15-2008 03:43 PM

Welcome to the boards, Elviessa! :happywave: May the beasties in the Gael Serran fall like wheat under your sword...

The game is really picky when it comes to targeting. It's almost on a pixel-by-pixel basis. And it does target one creature at a time (although area-based spells can affect more than one).

Gets really frustrating with water- and air-based creatures... they keep moving :)

You can try a lower resolution to make the screen "bigger" but that's probably about it.

Elviessa 03-15-2008 07:47 PM

Hmm I don't think it was always like this because when i played before it wasn't this badd otherwise I wouldn't gotten through the 1st area. and by only target one at a time i mean it only shows the target when i put it on one monster in group

Wyvern 03-16-2008 10:42 AM

Welcome to the boards Elviessa!!!!

I don't recall it ever being that picky to target but it has been many years since I have played. :( Hope you can find something that will make it easier.

Kakero 03-16-2008 07:46 PM

I got almost the same problem with you. I don't remember what I did to rectify this but try using compatibility mode for window 98 or window 95. Also try switching around hardware or software mode.

Dezuria 03-18-2008 10:40 PM

This is a bug in Direct3D. Targeting works fine in software for me, but not D3D. The graphics patch actually says it fixes this, but it doesn't fix it on my system, at least.(Geforce 8800GT)

I'm running Vista, and I've gotten everything in the game working fine now, except that D3D issue. It's annoying because of all the nice lighting effects I miss out on. :(