Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Vote for your Government! (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75457)

<font color=skyblue size=4>Vote for your type of Government with sooo many to choose from you are really spoilt for choice ;) </font>

AzureWolf 05-31-2002 12:32 PM

I voted for Tyranny, nothing like a good overlord to opress the people [img]smile.gif[/img]

Weisi didn't I tell you on MSN next time you made a poll in GD I would make you die slowly with lots of pain? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Neb 05-31-2002 12:33 PM

Tough choice, Tyranny, Ecotopia, Technocracy and Corporate Republic all sounded good.... Chose Ecotopia in the end, though.

Yorick 05-31-2002 12:35 PM

Avatar.... under communism everybody doesn't rule. It's an oligarchy. Democracy is where everyone rules.
We don't live in a democracy, we live in a representative democracy.

One of the few democracies ever to exist was in Iceland, where everyone met on the "allthing" - a big hill - to make the laws.
Not even ancient Greece was democratic. Women and slaves couldn't participate.

Regarding communism, I read this in a mad magazine once.

Bill - "Jack what's the defenition of capitalism?"
Jack - "Man exploiting man".
Bill - "Oh, so what's the defenition of communism"
Jack - "It's the other way round".

[img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]

Anyhow, you can have democratic communism, or autocratic communism. Right Dramnek?

Like true democracy though, I believe communism is an unattainable utopia.

Yorick 05-31-2002 12:37 PM

Oh, and a true theocracy is run by God (Theos) not the church. A church led state is a oligarchial heirachy.

Pre-king Israel was a Theocracy.

Rikard_OHF 05-31-2002 12:59 PM

True Communism Avatar, if you ever took the time to study it, is not a form of goverment
It's a way of living.
True communism would be an anarchy since there is no need for a goverment if everybody takes care of everybody
True Communism is great but unfortunatly, due to human nature and preverence drift, impossible.

Democracy means everybody rules
in a Republic, you have an elected president that rules
in a Electorial Democracy, you have multiple leaders chosen by the people

DeSoya 05-31-2002 01:00 PM

I thought we lived in a representative constitutional republic?
To be a democracy we have to make some sweeping changes. [img]smile.gif[/img] It would be pretty cool. Apparently in the Grecian democracies, the man who became leader of the city was chosen from the populous. There was no political race, no speeches, no nothing. Just a vote. [img]smile.gif[/img] Of course cities were smaller so that was possible. I imagine you would hear about all the upstanding citizens.
I was just told the other day that the Greek root for the word idiot means private person, or someone who doesn't participate in the city life. Interesting huh!?!

DeSoya

Lord Shield 05-31-2002 01:18 PM

a true monarchy - with ME as your Emperor - BWAHAHAHA

Sazerac 05-31-2002 01:22 PM

I tend to agree about communism. It is an economic model, not a political one, although if you wish to argue that economics and politics are so entertwined that you can't tell where one leaves off and the other begins, I'll not say you nay. [img]smile.gif[/img]

It's the same with capitalism...economic model. Democracy, Totalitarianism, Monarchy, Oligarchy, etc. are political models.

-Sazerac

Yorick 05-31-2002 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by DeSoya:
Apparently in the Grecian democracies, the man who became leader of the city was chosen from the populous.
Did you read my post? The women and slaves were excluded from lawmaking and voting. Does that sound like a democracy, where 'the populous' choose to you?

Or are only men in the populous in your opinion?