Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II Archives (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Is BG1 worth it ??? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59214)

Merlin 11-22-2001 12:29 AM

I have played BG2 through a few times and was wondering if it would be worth getting BG1? I need a break from BG2, and my sister is playing BG1 and loves it, but I was thinking it might be too big a step backward, it looks a little dated. Whaddyareckon?????

Gammit 11-22-2001 12:48 AM

I absolutely loved and was hooked on the original, and I started playing it this past spring. The graphics might be a bit on the rougher side (compared the the sequel), but the storyline and quests just kick.

My $.02

DEADMAN 11-22-2001 01:19 AM

The first one was a lot of fun. It also lets you see the background story to what happens in BG2. Plus there all the original characters, there not as interactive as in BG2, but still fun. Also starting at first level is alot diffrent then starting at 8th.

Sir Exxon 11-22-2001 09:59 AM

Merlin, dont you think this post belongs in the BG1-forum?!

see ya!

Debaser 11-22-2001 10:14 AM

you should have definitely posted this in the BG1 forum...

but, in very few words: YES. if you love BG2, i cannot see how you wouldn't love BG1.

Morgan_Corbesant 11-22-2001 11:10 AM

bg1 is great, just get yourself the rules fix. i soloed in that game, as a paladin, and i got him to level 23 or some crap. he can go to level fifty, so i might take him through again. very fun game. not exactly bg2, but still worth it. that is the game that got me started on this crack i call Baldurs Gate.

Melusine 11-22-2001 12:06 PM

*sigh* what does it matter if he posts the question here, people?? :rolleyes:
Maybe he wants the opinions of people who play BG2? Don't be so nitpicky, it isn't really a problem to answer his question here, is it? The forum distinction is much more important if someone were to post a BG2 spoiler in the BG1 forum, but this isn't such a big deal!

As for your original question, Merlin: I'd say definitely go ahead and try it! Just don't expect it to be like BG2, it's actually the differences that make it fun. [img]smile.gif[/img]
In BG2 and especially in TOB, you are very powerful, but in BG1, ifd you play as a mage, you can start with only FOUR hitpoints!! :D :D
It's much easier to get killed, and you really need every scroll of magic missile that you can get. After playing BG2 for a while, this is quite refreshing. The storyline is good, and while there is less NPC interaction and quests, there are more NPCs to choose from, especially if you want an all-evil party. It's also nice to see the background of your BG2 character explained, and to find out how they met Jaheira, Minsc etc.
All in all, I'd definitely recommend it!

Kaz 11-22-2001 12:19 PM

I love BG1! It's definetely worth it. I was absolutely hooked on that game, and it tells you a lot about your characters history and how you meet Jaheira, Minsc etc. It also makes you very sad when Khalid dies :( at least it did me. Also, some of the minor quests are just brilliant. Really hilarious too [img]smile.gif[/img] I'd post a few examples here but those would be spoilers :D

Tarox 11-22-2001 12:25 PM

Ban Him !!
He posted in what you consider is the wrong forum !!
Stone him to death!!
Crucify Him !!

It is valid here I think as he is asking people who have played BG2 if its worth going back to the original
No use asking BG1 forum people who may not have played BG2 and give him a good answer.

Now to answer.....I like most people played BG1 then BG2
I think it might give you a good insight and understanding into a lot of things BG related perhaps and how it fits in with the storyline of BG2
Sure it is a little dated comapred to BG2 but not that much
I think you will enjoy it lots and it will like fill in the pieces of a jigsaw that is BG [img]smile.gif[/img]

Melusine 11-22-2001 12:31 PM

Burn him! He turned me into a newt!
*giggle*