Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II Archives (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   How to defeat Magic Users? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49186)

Tenser 12-05-2000 05:59 PM

I'm relatively new to BG II. In the Temple Sewers, I ran into this group with a mage named Gaius. Immediately, she puts up all sorts of protections making weapons, arrows, spealls magical nothwistanding completely ineffective. Now, this seems kind of imbalanced to me. Anyone have a strategy on how to compete this without having a powerful spell caster in the group to bring down the mage's magical defenses?

I'm a fighter character, and right now completely helpless. She just stands there casting spell after spell and none of my attacks harm her. I've tried every kind of attack both magical and non-magical, she is immune to them all yet can freely cast spells out of this seemingly invicible sphere she is in. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

bpm07 12-05-2000 06:03 PM

Use spells such as Pierce magic, Breach, Remove magic, Dispel Magic etc. They will remove magic protections on the mage and leave him at the mercy of your sword. The manual describes all these spells pretty well and as you level up higher you can use some really mean penetration spells. But those I mentioned WILL do the trick.

Good luck.

Tenser 12-05-2000 06:11 PM

This may sound like a stupid question, but if I haven't a mage in my group powerful enough to cast those spells--except for Dispel Magic, which didn't work--I'm pretty much helpless in defeating a powerful mage with scores of protection spells cast?

fitz 12-05-2000 06:16 PM

Meanwhile, Tenser, if you don't have any good magic users, try purchasing some 'Arrows of Dispelling'. These will remove many magic protections those cowardly wizards surround themselves with. I think you can find the arrows in a couple of shops in the city (try the usual suspects. But, when you use them, don't forget to swith back to other arrows after a couple of hits with the Dispelling ones or else you'll be wasting some serious gold.

Mortis Metacarpus 12-05-2000 06:16 PM

The obvious solution would be to pick up Edwin but since I get the feeling that you're chaotic good just run away for a while. Protection from the Magical Weapons, Mantle etc. wear off after 4 rounds.

Magnus Magnificent 12-05-2000 06:23 PM

I don't like magic much. I would suggest completing the paladin quest and smacking him with the Holy Avenger about 10 or 20 times. I doubt he'll have much left after that.

Tenser 12-05-2000 06:26 PM

Thanks guys, some really good suggestions. When I played paper AD&D long ago, they didn't have these spells where magic can be freely cast out while others can't be cast in.

The Dispel arrows completely slipped my mind, thanks. Oh, I should remember to run away too--guess it is just that fighter mentality, finally got close enough to the mage and wanted to slice her up. LOL

Neal 12-05-2000 06:34 PM

Hmmm... all I did was Hide In Shadows, backstab him (he was far away enough from the leader guy that it didn't initiate the dialogue), slam an invisibility potion, and backstab again.

Axis 12-05-2000 07:09 PM

Wow neal, your REAL cool.

Jadan 12-05-2000 07:38 PM

Heres a tip if you dont have anything at all, Run away, and rest, the computer players (generally) do not get the effects of a rest and they will be helpless. Good luck.