Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Classical music (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79770)

K T Ong 06-23-2002 08:41 PM

Does anyone here listen to classical music, and if you do, who are your favorite composers and which of their works are your favorites?

Been listening to Richard Strauss' symphonic poems of late, in particular his A Hero's Life. Real 'fun' music [img]smile.gif[/img] (though it's got moments of real beauty, too ;) ) -- in fact many portions of A Hero's Life strike me as ideal music for a cartoon or animation film. All the squeaking, malicious woodwind in 'The Hero's Adversaries' and the portrayal of 'The Hero's Beloved' by a flirtatious violin solo are real fun to listen to. And 'The Hero on the Battlefield' just seems so comical and cartoony -- deliberately so, I suppose. It's such a pity no cartoon producers (to my knowledge) ever appropriated Strauss' music for use in a cartoon.

Lady Blue03 06-23-2002 09:12 PM

<font color=pink>I dont listen to classical music at all, but my favorite out of ones ive played is Beehtovens 5th</font>

Leonis 06-23-2002 09:15 PM

I don't listen to much, but when I do it's stuff like Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, Bach's Suite No.3, Mozart's Requiem.
I've been listening to Stavinsky's Petrushka and The Firebird lately, and I absolutely loved Glass' soundtrack for Kundun.

Hayashi 06-23-2002 09:30 PM

Some of my favourties (a rather eclectic mix, I don't have a favourite composer):

1. Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition and Night on Bald Mountain.
2. Most of the waltzes by the Strausses - my version of "easy listening music" [img]smile.gif[/img] .
3. Bolero by Ravel
4. Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture and Nutcracker Suite.
5. Many works by Beethoven, Mozart, Brahms.

There are a few others, but these are the ones that spring to mind.

Albromor 06-23-2002 09:38 PM

I love classical music. Mozart's symphonies are some of my favorite. I also have all of Beethoven's 9 symphonies. Then there is Vilvadi's "Four Seasons" and Bach's Brandenberg Concertos.

K T Ong 06-23-2002 10:08 PM

Albromor, what do you think of those electronic renderings of Bach's music by Walter Carlos and Benjamin Folkman ('Switched-on Bach')?

Scholarcs 06-24-2002 12:58 AM

<font color="snow">I like listening to classical music from a full orchestra from time to time, and there is heaps of music out there. I was out at the Warehouse the other day and picked up a double CD of Handel`s Messiah, played by the London Symphany Orchestra, for $2! If you want to buy some good classical music, go out to your local Warehouse and buy a small selection of cheap CDs.

btw, downloading them is a waste of time, .mp3s mostly lack quality. </font>

Xero279 06-24-2002 01:02 AM

hehe i like mozart, hes good.. especially "Requiem".. i dont listen to it much though, im kinda a "metal-head" :D

K T Ong 06-24-2002 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Scholarcs:
If you want to buy some good classical music, go out to your local Warehouse and buy a small selection of cheap CDs.

btw, downloading them is a waste of time, .mp3s mostly lack quality. </font>

I already have a fairly big collection of classical CDs! And no, I never download any music from the net; instead I create all my .mp3s from my own CDs. ;)

[ 06-24-2002, 02:48 AM: Message edited by: K T Ong ]

K T Ong 06-24-2002 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Xero279:
hehe i like mozart, hes good.. especially "Requiem".. i dont listen to it much though, im kinda a "metal-head" :D
Okay, what about New-Age? I think Kitaro is divine. ;)

[ 06-24-2002, 02:49 AM: Message edited by: K T Ong ]