Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Compilation of Critical Miss Exclamations (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17078)

CerebroDragon 08-02-2006 09:42 AM

Greetings fellow Ironworkers,

In the tradition of this ol' thread from my previous BG2 escapade:

http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/no...=023326#000000

I thought I'd compile its opposition number, namely, a list of all the critical miss comments in the game. I'm rather astounded at how fast my current game has progressed this time around, as I'm pretty well due to start ToB.
Thus due to the inevitable epic nature of rising character levels post-SoA,
a critical miss is something one tends to not expect to experience that often.
So in the spirit of enthusiasm for the call to adventure, I thought I'd celebrate those critical moments where you gritted your teeth or bit your lip in frustration as your favourite npc bollocksed up what might have been the crucial blow! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Feel free to add your own from self-created soundsets, or ideas for any kind of chracter you've played. We could even theorise some for the missing BG1 npcs, thereby giving the thread some potential practical use. ;)

Onwards then! *Begins the rolling of the eternally dreaded Snakes Eyes*

Korgan: "Mr Clinical"
"Next Swing!"
He rarely misses generally, and with boots of speed equipped, hastily makes up for the it.

Mazzy: "Mini-Mouse attack"
"Ahhh...missed!" (The 'missed' is whispered in such a way as to carefully disguise the dimunition of such a swing.)

Viconia: (Scathing Bitterness Personified)
"Vith'ir!" (Sounded a little like "da're" (arm) or phonetically 'Dear' to me)
But this was cleared up in the previous thread - thanks to Illumina and Andrewas for their treasured drow linguistics.

Aerie: (Impersonating a bull-terrier)
"Rrrrrrrr!" (This one usually has the most dramatic effect on me. It serves as a blustery reminder to the PC to leave our beloved Aerie-head out of melee without suitable Tenser like buffings where possible.)

Edwin: (The inflated ego blames its own tools)
"Bah! useless weapon!"

However, I might have that one confused with when a weapon is unsuitable - I'll no doubt confirm in my ToB game when Edwin runs out of spells in Watchers Keep, or someone can correct him, err, I mean me. [img]smile.gif[/img]

That's all I've got so far - so lets roll some 1's and revel in it a little. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Cheers,
CD

[ 08-04-2006, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: CerebroDragon ]

SixOfSpades 08-02-2006 02:22 PM

Actually, regardless of what your THAC0 or levels are, the chance to roll a Critical Miss is always 5%.

I once had a screenshot of Korgan getting three Critical Misses in a row on the <u>unconscious</u> Guard Captain in Galvena's Festhall. Now that's just sad. He had an audience, too: Nalia was there, watching. Way to impress the ladies with your combat abilities, Korgan. :rolleyes:

ZFR 08-02-2006 02:59 PM

&lt;Dundee's voice&gt;
Trivia:
Luck adds directly to rolling, so even a +1 luck eliminates critical misses (similarly drunkedness which reduces luck, eliminates critical hits).
&lt;/Dundee's voice&gt;

And SixOfSpade's screenshot can be seen here:
http://img434.imageshack.us/img434/7...anmiss3ir0.jpg

CerebroDragon 08-02-2006 03:36 PM

Um. Right. Yep. Ok. Nice. Indeed...

But erm, trivia and such aside, can we get back to the compiling now?

I can confirm that Edwin's "Bah, useless weapon" is correct...and we hadn't even made it out of Saradush!

Cheers. :D

P.S:
That particular lady doesn't have a beard Six, so I doubt that Korgan is that interested in catching any eyes. [img]tongue.gif[/img] He was just training or somethin'.

[ 08-02-2006, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: CerebroDragon ]

ZFR 08-02-2006 06:03 PM

off the top of my head since I dont have the game installed:

Yoshimo: "Embarassing"

Keldorn :"You will fall yet"

Illumina Drathiran'ar 08-02-2006 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by CerebroDragon:
Um. Right. Yep. Ok. Nice. Indeed...

But erm, trivia and such aside, can we get back to the compiling now?

I can confirm that Edwin's "Bah, useless weapon" is correct...and we hadn't even made it out of Saradush!

Indeed, 'tis correct. When a creature is immune to his weapon, he says, "This weapon's worthless."

Betelgeuse 08-04-2006 02:48 AM

my favourites are: critical miss from my female pc - "Oh you wily bastard."
weapon ineffective from korgan - "the beggar's immune."

Klorox 08-04-2006 07:16 AM

I thought it was "The bugger's immune."

::shrugs::

ZFR 08-04-2006 01:55 PM

Well, he says both depending on whether he's attacking a beggar or a bugger.

CerebroDragon 08-04-2006 09:02 PM

In fact, I think both are slightly inaccurate since he at least to my ears says:
"The blasted begger's immune!" But then again, I thought he said Scone-breaker instead of Skull-breaker, so I could be wrong! :D

Another addition:

ToB NPC - (A simple grunt will do)
"BAH!"

Still need Valygar, Minsc, Haer'Dalis...