Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Is there any way to block someone from visiting certain sites? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93809)

Kakero 06-27-2005 03:32 AM

My sister love to visit friendster.com. Is there any way to block IE from accessing this site so that she won't be able to enter this site?

I've tried going to internet option/privacy/ privacy action setting for frienster.com is always block but still she can enter that site. [img]graemlins/1pissed.gif[/img]

Anybody can help?

philip 06-27-2005 04:07 AM

Do you have a firewall?

Kakero 06-27-2005 06:00 AM

I have Zone alarm.

I only want to block her from entering friendster.com. Not the entire internet.

andrewas 06-27-2005 06:50 AM

find your hosts file and edit it to include the line:

127.0.0.1 www.friendster.com

This will redirect any attempt to access friendster to the loopback address, which goes right back to your PC. Since your PC normaly isnt serving a webpage, this will result in your sister getting told that she cannot connect to www.friendster.com.

But, is it really worth it? Whats wrong with the site?

Bungleau 06-27-2005 09:03 AM

You can also block just that site in ZoneAlarm. Put it into the restricted zones area, and it's unavailable.

Ladyzekke 06-27-2005 11:19 AM

Yep ZoneAlarm's restriced zones should do it, although your sister might know to look in there and she could take it back out of the restricted zone, if you don't have a password to get into your ZoneAlarm. Curious too, what's wrong with the site?

Kakero 06-27-2005 06:44 PM

Andrewas - Where exactly is this host file? I can't seem to find it.

Bungleau , Ladyzekke - which part of Zonealarm contain this option? I've search in Overview, Firewall, Program Control, Antivirus Monitoring , Email Protection, Alerts and logs section but I don't see anything that can block a website.

edit : I've found numerous virus, spy program in this computer. I've narrowed my suspicion on this website. I want to block it to see if these things come from somewhere else.

[ 06-27-2005, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: Kakero ]

andrewas 06-27-2005 06:54 PM

You cant block a specific site with the free version of Zonealarm.

Hosts file location varies between versions of windows - go to a DOS prompt, get to drive C and type:

dir /s hosts

and it should search the C drive for you. Or you could use windows search function.

On winXP, it should be in
c:/windows/system32/drivers/etc

ZFR 06-27-2005 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Kakero:

I've tried going to internet option/privacy/ privacy action setting for frienster.com is always block but still she can enter that site.

That's because this way it will only block cookies [img]tongue.gif[/img] :rolleyes:

There is a very easy way to block a particular website(at least in Internet Explorer 6)
go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Contents tab
under "content advisor" click "settings"

Click "Approved Sites" tab.

Add the site you want and click "Never"

You might then want to click the Ratings tab and change the level. By default it is level 0 which means it will block almost every site [img]graemlins/1dizzy.gif[/img]

Also since you dont want any other site to be banned under General tab you might want to check 'users can see sites with no rating'.

Oh, and this thing has password too.

[ 06-28-2005, 07:04 AM: Message edited by: ZFR ]

Bungleau 06-27-2005 11:05 PM

My apologies. I operated from memory, and didn't verify the ZoneAlarm zone settings. The free version only allows you to put things into the trusted zone.

You might download a fresh copy of ZA. When you do, you get a 15-day trial of ZAPro, which would let you restrict access. After the trial is over, your settings are converted back to ZAFree, but your restriction may get left in place. I don't know, since I haven't tried it.

I forgot all about the restricted sites thing! An excellent choice... and the error messages about it aren't too specific [img]smile.gif[/img] I'd do this in addition to setting the loopback in the hosts file (setting www.friendster.com to 127.0.0.1). Between those two, it should be blocked nicely [img]smile.gif[/img]

Or better yet, you could map it to something else -- say, to Google. Then, when she tries to go there, she goes to Google instead. Or some other site that you'd prefer... :D