Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   I go to the army. Darn it to the heck!!! (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87863)

Black Baron 09-25-2003 06:41 AM

I go to the army. Darn it to the heck!!!
you will see me here one week in a month, in a best case.
but i will spam here, so you will not be rid of me.
And after 3 years i will be back. AGAIN!!
So lets opress the enemies of israel further...
the hell with it! :devil :crazy

Donut 09-25-2003 06:44 AM

Well the good news is that Israel is considering scrapping universal conscription.

The Hierophant 09-25-2003 06:47 AM

Good luck Black Baron. Stay brave.

shadowhound 09-25-2003 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by The Hierophant:
Good luck Black Baron. Stay brave.
Forget staying brave. Stay Alive.

Dundee Slaytern 09-25-2003 07:36 AM

Join the Tea Party. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Anybody else knows which other country(ies) has compulsory enlistment? [img]smile.gif[/img] It will be interesting to know.

Stratos 09-25-2003 08:32 AM

Sweden has as well, but only about 40% ever get their military training. They only pick the best and best motivated.

Cloudbringer 09-25-2003 08:51 AM

Best of luck to you, Black Baron! Take care of yourself and let us know how you're doing!

Dundee, that's a good topic! [img]smile.gif[/img] Timely in your case. [img]smile.gif[/img] I'm not sure if Russia still has mandatory service time, but at one point they did.

Kakero 09-25-2003 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
Anybody else knows which other country(ies) has compulsory enlistment? [img]smile.gif[/img] It will be interesting to know.
The last time I heard Singapore, Taiwan and South Korea have it. Starting this year Malaysia have it too but it's only for " specially selected boys " and their training is for 3 months only.

Zuvio 09-25-2003 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Kakero:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:

The last time I heard Singapore, Taiwan and South Korea have it. Starting this year Malaysia have it too but it's only for " specially selected boys " and their training is for 3 months only. </font>[/QUOTE]<font color=lightgreen>
Then why even bother? Waste of good money I tell ya!
Bah, enlistment ... I've been with the Dutch Marine Corps for 5 months and then quitted. Realised in time that school was much, much better and much more fun!
</font>

NiceWorg 09-25-2003 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Stratos:
Sweden has as well, but only about 40% ever get their military training. They only pick the best and best motivated.
I didnīt know our dear neighbors have it semi-voluntary. Itīs obligatory in Finland.. so say, 90% of all guys have gone through the training. That means six months of wasted lifetime for unmotivated persons, such as myself.

Grojlach 09-25-2003 10:03 AM

Greece has it as well, IIRC.

Dundee Slaytern 09-25-2003 10:28 AM

Let's see, Israel has it for 3 years. Over here, the base is 2 years + 6 months if you hold a higher education level (guess which one I fall in? Happy, happy [img]tongue.gif[/img] ).

Malaysia has it for 3 months (what do they hope to achieve in that short period of time?!?!), Finland has it for 6 months (much more realistic, though... peanuts compared to the others)

Sweden's hardly seems that bad... since they take only the willing. [img]tongue.gif[/img] I mean... the unwilling would hardly be motivated now would they?

Any idea on how long for Taiwan, South Korea and Greece?

Grojlach 09-25-2003 10:33 AM

The Greek person who told me they had obligatory army enlistment was talking about either a year in the army, 14 months in the navy or 16 months in the airforce - and apparently they don't have a choice in which one of these three they will end up.
Of course, I only have that Greek friend of mine as a source, so it could be wrong. ;)

Kakero 09-25-2003 06:05 PM

Quote:

Malaysia has it for 3 months (what do they hope to achieve in that short period of time?!?!)
The Malaysian Government wanted to make it 6 months but due to budget problem they shorten it to 3 months.

Son of Osiris 09-26-2003 07:19 AM

Go kick some Hamas ass!

Spelca 09-26-2003 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Stratos:
But it's not like you can choose, right? I mean, you go through medical examinations, and unless you are really really sickened by the idea of being a soldier, you will have to go... And they can also put you in one of those civilian trainings... Or at least that's what my Swedish boyfriend told me. ;)

PS: In Slovenia they just decided to end the compulsory enlistment. YAY!!! :D Now when will other bigger European countries (who have bigger professional armies) follow?

Spelca 09-26-2003 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Black Baron:

:( Good luck! And take care of yourself... *hug*

Skunk 09-26-2003 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Black Baron:

I'm really sorry to hear that - and I do mean it.

Just remember that:
walls are like women - hug them constantly and keep watching the ones that you are not with. [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img]
All streets have cover - make sure you know where it is before you enter it.
Just because someone smiles at you it doesn't mean they like you (*never* forget this!)

Beyond that, your trainer's and platoon comander will know everything there is about coming home alive and well - so *really* pay attention to what they have to say.

I wish you good luck and very much hope that you get some quiet backwater posting where the only action you see is the feminine kind... ;)

Dragonshadow 09-27-2003 05:15 AM

Good luck pal.

Seraph 09-27-2003 11:52 AM

Quote:

Malaysia has it for 3 months (what do they hope to achieve in that short period of time?!?!)
They hope that if there is a major war there will be a pool of recruits that they won't have to waste three months teaching things like which end of the gun the bullets comes out of.

Vaskez 09-27-2003 02:28 PM

Hungary has conscription, training for 1 year, but it's quite easy to get out of. If you have any sort of illness that affects your performance and you get a doctor to agree then you can get out of it. Anything from bad hay fever to back pains will get you out of it and if a doctor is your friend you can probably get them to exaggerate a problem you have. You can also "postpone" the service if you go to university immediately after finishing high school and don't take a year out. Then they can still effectively conscript you if there is a war but you don't have to do the 1 year service that you'd do if you didn't go to uni. As you can imagine, this means there is a rush to get into even the crappest universities and most wierd courses just to study something and not have to do military service.

They are thinking about scrapping it though as it's too expensive and the country has no money.

Gangrell 09-27-2003 02:41 PM

Good luck and Godspeed Black Baron, come back safely.

Xen 09-27-2003 02:45 PM

Good luck!

Rimjaw 09-29-2003 01:18 AM

Quote:

Any idea on how long for Taiwan, South Korea and Greece?
Its the usual two years as well. I heard Switzerland has like 7 months national service. So when are you going in?

cloud ff7 38 09-29-2003 10:04 AM

speaking of the army i want to be a bounty hunter for the government how would i go about that???

johnny 09-29-2003 10:16 AM

A bountyhunter for your government ? Now here's one who defenitely saw one movie too many. :D

Ar-Cunin 09-29-2003 03:57 PM

Denmark has national service as well. 10 months of having to listen to idiots 10 years my junior (but with three stripes) yelling at me *blah*

Stay safe Black Baron [img]smile.gif[/img]