Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Do Insects Have Emotions? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93059)

Ladyzekke 02-24-2005 07:40 PM

My goodness this forum is slow and a bit boring atm. It's really all yall's faults I'm making this thread, so blame yourselves and live with the consequences. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Well humans have emotions, and animals do, but do bugs? I mean when bugs fight is it just instinct or do they really get pissed off? Can you piss off a bug? And if so, how can you tell?

:D

Variol (Farseer) Elmwood 02-24-2005 07:44 PM

Don't bug me..

johnny 02-24-2005 07:46 PM

Not sure , but i think Ants in the Pants must have some serious Jedi-like emotioncontrol. How else could an ant survive in our pants ? :D

Sir Degrader 02-24-2005 07:47 PM

How can you tell when they get mad? Ever see the movie Eight Legged Freaks?

SomeGuy 02-24-2005 07:47 PM

Here's a story about a bug on a website I found recently. Shows that bugs must have emotions! (Edited for forum rules)

Quote:

It was a hot day. I was watching a little red ant/wasp/beetle thingy (I swear, it looked like all three rolled into one) walk across the ground. I'm bored, and doing something to this bug will amuse me. I take a mouthfull of water and spit it on the bug, expecting to see it wiggle around and splash for freedom in my little puddle of saliva water.

*SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETCH!!!!!!*

The little bug reared up on its hind legs and looked at me, and screamed at me. Holy CRAP!! A bug is screaming when I pour water on it. This is the coolest thing I've ever seen! I spit more water on it, and it announces its displeasure at me again, only THIS time it sprouts wings from somewhere and flies right at me. Mad.

I did what any other bad-ass Ranger would do in this situation. I screamed like a little girl and took off running.

It stings me. Or bites me, whatever--and it HURT. I'm angry now at this little hybrid insect. I want revenge. I fill my mouth again and BLAST a gob of water on it. This time, as it rears up to screech at me, I SLAMMED my canteen down on it, crushing his little body. THAT'LL teach you to screw with ME you little bug.

I pick up my canteen again, and promptly get stung again. By the screaming bug. Apparantly, it's exoskeleton is made of titanium. I'm mad, hurt, and intrigued, all rolled into one. I start slamming my canteen on it over, and over, and over again.

IT WON'T DIE!!!

I crush it with my boot by jumping up and down on it. It finally dies, but leaves this horrible stink, like deer-guts when you first field dress them. That was one bad-ass bug.

I got farted on by a stinkbug once. Little bastid actually turned his ass towards me and *PFFFT* blew a number 9 at me.

Had a dung beetle roll a nice fresh piece of poop right across my plate during chow time once too.

Been stung, bit, shit on, farted at, screamed at, and anything else you can think of, by the smallest things in nature. God must've made those screwed-up bugs on the same day he made the Platypus. The dude definately has a weird sense of humor.

[ 02-24-2005, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: SomeGuy ]

Ladyzekke 02-24-2005 07:52 PM

I actually had ants in my pants once Johnny LOL. In this old house we rented 5 years ago with a lot of old woods around it. Frikken ants were everywhere, in the spring they'd pop up between the cracks of the wooden floors. You drop a tiny crumb and the next day a million of them would be piled on it, was insane. Well I walk around when it's warm in shorts and barefoot, and so one day I guess I must have stepped on some, and went to my PC chair, and sat like I always do, cross-legged, and they must have ran from my feet and into my shorts! Boy do I miss that house, NOT [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Sir Degrader - No. I hate spiders LOL, so make it a point to avoid any spider movies, *shudder* :D

Ladyzekke 02-24-2005 07:57 PM

OMG that was hilarious Someguy!!!!!!!! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

johnny 02-24-2005 08:02 PM

A new species has been discovered... AntsInWendy'sPants. :D

Btw...spiders are not bugs, spiders eat bugs.

Ladyzekke 02-24-2005 08:19 PM

Well I mean "bugs" as insects in general, including spiders!

Now I do remember once, at that same dang house, we had a roommate who rented the basement, and he had just moved out and I went down there to vacuum the carpet. Well I noticed this little hole in the wall about 7 inches from the floor, bout half inch in diameter. This is also where the roommate used to have his bed LOL. So I'm vacuuming and the vacuum is hitting the wall a few times as I'm taking the upsweep and this fatass black spider just comes running out of the hole, not far though, just outside at the entrance. It DID seem he got pissed off LOL, dunno. At the time all I was thinkin was the roommate probably had him crawling on his bed at night ACK!

But still, is it emotions or instict to just protect itself? I mean does an insect have a bad day LOL and just gets in a bad mood LOL?

Jorath Calar 02-24-2005 08:35 PM

Instincts in insects... phew... there is a toungetwister... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Well, over here around august hornets get this "We are all going to die anyway while this fat ass bitch lies in the comfy lair, why don't we go out and pick some serious fight with the humans..." attitude. So you only have to wak passed them and they pretend to get seriously mad and chase you for several blocks... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Sheesh I hate those guys...

[ 02-24-2005, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: Jorath Calar ]

Ilander 02-24-2005 08:51 PM

Insects have feelings! Just look at me!

johnny 02-24-2005 09:06 PM

Here's something to ponder on.... if you drink A LOT, and go to sleep drunk, and a mosquito decides to have you for breakfast... will the mosquito be affected by the alcohol in your blood ?

Ilander 02-24-2005 09:11 PM

Well, if it was YOU that the mosquito bit, then certainly...as for others...not so much.

johnny 02-24-2005 09:13 PM

I was trying to be serious for a change.

Sir Degrader 02-24-2005 09:14 PM

Oh? How does it feel?

Ladyzekke 02-24-2005 09:28 PM

Johnny, they say that mosquitos are actually attracted to those that drink LOL, not kidding. Can't remember why, but they do. Lord knows they eat me alive in the summer [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Kakero 02-24-2005 09:52 PM

Does anger count as emotions? Because bees will get very angry when I throw stones at their hives and chase me all over. :rolleyes:

Ladyzekke 02-24-2005 10:10 PM

Yes but again, is it anger, or just an instinct to go and protect the hive?

Umm, also Kakero, LOL... If you have a hive near your house or something, and it is causing a problem and you want to get rid of the bees, best to just spray them with poison or something, I mean throwing stones doesn't really do a whole lot except what you mentioned LOL (bee chasing) [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, you got some balls to stand and throw stones at a bees' nest. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

[ 02-24-2005, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: ladyzekke ]

Felix The Assassin 02-24-2005 10:22 PM

Well, what is the last thing a bug see's when it hits your windshield at road speed?

Dace De'Briago 02-24-2005 10:22 PM

I *know* that insects have emotions, otherwise my bumblebee girlfriend would never have let me continue our physical relationship!

Ladyzekke 02-24-2005 10:45 PM

Dace, LOL... [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] dunno what you mean re your post. Your bumblebee girlfriend? What does that mean LOL? How can a girl be "bumblebee"? I'm confused and amused LOL

[ 02-24-2005, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: ladyzekke ]

Link 02-25-2005 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Felix The Assassin:
Well, what is the last thing a bug see's when it hits your windshield at road speed?
Well that depends on the bug, really. I would be inclined to say "They see their lives pass in front of their eyes" but insects don't usually live that long. On that same thought however, it would be rather useless for one-day-flies (both insect and human :D ) to have emotions, now wouldn't it?

Iron Greasel 02-25-2005 02:13 PM

Individual insects don't have feelings in my book. A swarm might have some of the basic ones, like fear and anger. Maybe happiness.

Stratos 02-25-2005 02:50 PM

I doubt insects have emotions, it's probably more instinctual reactions.

And spiders are not insects. ;)

Violet 02-25-2005 04:30 PM

Quote:

:eek: It's "bug-eyed" reflection in the glass. *snort* *snort*

I would say bugs have instinctual defense mechanisms that make them appear to have emotions like anger (bees whose hive has been hit with rocks [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] ) or desperation (the floating beetle who frantically swims in circles before it drowns). Ever seen a happy bug? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 02-25-2005, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: Violet ]

Cloudbringer 02-25-2005 05:04 PM

ROTFL! Need to find you a hobby, LZ! LOL! You made me remember an episode of "Everybody Loves Raymond'that we had on the other day where his brother dates a girl who ate a fly because she thought all life came from frogs and kept a zillion of them in her room... blech!

Ilander 02-27-2005 12:06 PM

Ewww, Cloudy! That's disgusting!

Hey, I don't think that bugs have emotions, but they've sure got feelers *rimshot*

Dron_Cah 02-27-2005 04:04 PM

Quote:

It's butt. :D ;)

Sigmar 02-27-2005 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by johnny:
Here's something to ponder on.... if you drink A LOT, and go to sleep drunk, and a mosquito decides to have you for breakfast... will the mosquito be affected by the alcohol in your blood ?
I know Bee's can get drunk for sure.

I imagine a similar thing must happen to mosquito's. Although the liklihood is that the concentration of alcohol in the blood would probably kill the relatively tiny insect.

Beaumanoir 02-27-2005 04:34 PM

I have a friend who says that animals don't have will, only instinct.

He's a silly boy.

TheGodThatFailed 02-27-2005 05:35 PM

Joining the conversation late, i'll just post my views. I think insects have feelings and instinct, just not in vast ammounts. They must have feelings to know to fly off something that's too hot, and they must have instinct to know to run when you go for the buggers with a newspaper ;) But i wouldn't go too far as to saying they have actual feeling, just basic things like i've already said.

Lucern 02-27-2005 06:58 PM

Was typing this as the power went out. Not sure why it was worthy of typing again, lol.

First off, insects are animals :D

I'm not thinking that insects generally have much emotion, or need of emotion:

Neuroanatomically, how much physical 'room' is there in the notochord (just a sliver of nervous material) of a cricket for emotion? Think of an animal you KNOW has emotion, like your cat, or you. You've got lots of grey matter associated (at least somewhat) to emotion. I'd be happy to see differently, but the insects I've had to dissect didn't have central nervous systems with any kind of differentation like you'd find in a mammal like yourself. Then again, it's always good to do more with less, and we don't know what the little buggers are thinking ;)

Evolutionarily/Ecologically, there's a general tradeoff associated with how many offspring a species tends to have. Elephants are putting quite a lot of biomass and time into the raising of their young, but they're not going to do it very often. An insect that has dozens or even hundreds of offspring every year is counting on the numbers game to survive, but there's not much biomass or time in each offspring. This is more of a general point: each insect is far more expendable than each elephant.

Physiologically: If, biologically, thoughts, memories, and emotions are enabled by the brain, a physical structure, then all thoughts, memories, and emotions suck up precious energy, since the brain consumes energy. An insect's cognitive functions are minimalist in nature.

Practically, what is an insect going to do with emotion anyway? A fight or flight response seems appropriate enough for an insect to have, but most insects are pretty specialized individuals: they only need to do one thing well, especially if they're a member of a hive. Most individuals do not have social roles at all in a hive. There would seem little need to empathize with others, hold emnities/hatreds, love, be angry, or be happy or sad. Since these structures have an energy cost, they're immediate disadvantages if they serve no purpose, and these traits would be 'selected against' in terms of natural selection.

Of course, that's just the cognitive biases of a human ;) We tend to anthropomorphize the actions of other creatures, even in photographs of cells interacting. I think there's room in between the black and white of "instinct" and "free will", given the variety of cognitive capacities of various organisms. We don't really know when something is 'deciding' to do something for any particular reason. Even in humans there are predictably many behaviors that are confusing as to whether they're 'purely instinct' or 'purely free will', but of course we do know that we've got complex emotions. I'd like to know the answer as to why and when that began to develop...

Nerd alert!
Where?
Oh, me. I know.

Ladyzekke 02-27-2005 10:40 PM

Lucern, your post was very informative, thank you, Mr. Smarty. :D [img]smile.gif[/img] and screw the nerd alert LOL, most of us are nerds in some way here anyways. [img]smile.gif[/img]

But what about ants? Yes they are like slaves in many ways, scouting and bringing back food, like drones. But I remember in that old ass house we lived in, I had this plant in a pot I had just basically forgotten was there, and when I found it I immediately poured water into the dirt. Well, all these ants came out of it. I sat and watched them for a time, and observed many ants risking their own lives to save others from the flooding waters (some would make like a bridge of ants for others to cross, and many bridge makers drowned). Seriously I sat and observed them for like an hour or more LOL. Was really impressed at the rescues and sacrifices.

So what do you think about that Lucern? Just made me think they must feel some emotion? I mean at least it was not self preservation anyways, if you see what I'm sayin. So makes me wonder.

[ 02-27-2005, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: ladyzekke ]

Lucern 02-28-2005 02:07 AM

Pfew, Nerd alert cancelled. Now where are my sparkly bug antennae? ;)

I believe I do see what you mean, Ladyzekke, and I have actually heard of very similar behaviors. Fascinating eh? In biology, altruism is a recognized and fairly well researched area of animal behavior, and I think there's a lot of truth to it. Altruism had been used against evolutionists in biology before about 50 years ago, as it seemed to counter the idea of evolution. However, hopefully myself or the quote below will show that it fits perfectly into a modern evolutionary framework as well as an alternate explanation for your observations.

The basic idea of altruism is that one individual performs a self destructive action that benefits others - which pretty well describes what you wrote. The key, though, is that in every case I can think of among insects the beneficiaries are genetically related to those who sacrifice themselves. The risk has to be worth the reward, in terms of the capacity to spread similar genes in the world (even through your relatives instead of yourself). This goes beyond insects (particularly in parent-offspring relationships), but it seems extreme in insects because they are so specialized. A sterile ant, be it a soldier or otherwise, will save other ants, so that more egg-laying ants will have a better chance of surviving. In an ant/bee/wasp colony, a large percentage of individuals are functionally sterile. In the quote below, E.O. Wilson, a biologist made famous (well, for a biologist) for his work with ants and his book, "Sociobiology", in which he explores the extent to which humans act in similar fashion to preserve their genes. Part A of the quote seems most relevent to your observations. Note that despite the age of that quote, it still holds water, which is not always the case in science.

Of course, as I briefly mentioned before...we don't know what (or to what extent) the little buggers are thinking - just the end result. I think it's especially interesting though, in this frame work, be it through instinct or whatever means, every sacrificing individual 'knew' to do that. There is room in their tiny neuroanatomy for such actions that merely give a chance for others to survive. They will reliably act this way.

I take it some of the ants survived? You didn't squash them after all that did you? ;)

http://scienceweek.com/2003/sa031205-2.htm

Quote:

ON ALTRUISM OF INDIVIDUALS IN INSECT SOCIETIES

The following points are made by Edward O. Wilson (citation below):

1) Altruism is self-destructive behavior performed for the benefit of others. The use of the word altruism in biology has been faulted by Williams and Williams (1957), who suggest that the alternative expression "social donorism" is preferable because it has less gratuitous emotional flavor. Even so, altruism has been used as a term in connection with evolutionary argumentation by Haldane (1932) and rigorous genetic theory by Hamilton (1964), and it has the great advantage of being instantly familiar. The self-destruction can range in intensity all the way from total bodily sacrifice to a slight diminishment of reproductive powers. Altruistic behavior is of course commonplace in the responses of parents toward their young. It is far less frequent, and for our purposes much more interesting, when displayed by young toward their parents or by individuals toward siblings or other, more distantly related members of the same species. Altruism is a subject of importance in evolution theory because it implies the existence of group selection, and its extreme development in the social insects is therefore of more than ordinary interest. The great scope and variety of the phenomenon in the social insects is best indicated by citing a few concrete examples:

a) The soldier caste of most species of termites and ants is virtually limited in function to colony defense. Soldiers are often slow to respond to stimuli that arouse the rest of the colony, but, when they do, they normally place themselves in the position of maximum danger. When nest walls of higher termites such as Nasutitermes are broken open, for example, the white, defenseless nymphs and workers rush inward toward the concealed depths of the nest, while the soldiers press outward and mill aggressively on the outside of the nest. Nutting (personal communication) witnessed soldiers of Amitermes emersoni in Arizona emerge from the nest well in advance of the nuptial flights, wander widely around the nest vicinity, and effectively tie up in combat all foraging ants that could have endangered the emerging winged reproductives.

b) I have observed that injured workers of the fire ant Solenopsis saevissima leave the nest more readily and are more aggressive on the average than their uninjured sisters. Dying workers of the harvesting ant Pogonomyrmex badius tend to leave the nest altogether. Both effects may be no more than meaningless epiphenomena, but it is also likely that the responses are altruistic. To be specific, injured workers are useless for most functions other than defense, while dying workers pose a sanitary problem.

c) Alarm communication, which is employed in one form or other throughout the higher social groups, has the effect of drawing workers toward sources of danger while protecting the queens, the brood, and the unmated sexual forms.

d) Honeybee workers possess barbed stings that tend to remain embedded when the insects pull away from their victims, causing part of their viscera to be torn out and the bees to be fatally injured. A similar defensive maneuver occurs in many polybiine wasps, including Synoeca surinama and at least some species of Polybia and Stelopolybia and the ant Pogonomyrmex badius. The fearsome reputation of social bees and wasps in comparison with other insects is due to their general readiness to throw their lives away upon slight provocation.

e) When fed exclusively on sugar water, honeybee workers can still raise larvae -- but only by metabolizing and donating their own tissue proteins. That this donation to their sisters actually shortens their own lives is indicated by the finding of de Groot (1953) that longevity in workers is a function of protein intake.

f) Female workers of most social insects curtail their own egg laying in the presence of a queen, either through submissive behavior or through biochemical inhibition. The workers of many ant and stingless bee species lay special trophic eggs that are fed principally to the larvae and queen.

g) The "communal stomach", or distensible crop, together with a specially modified proventriculus, forms a complex storage and pumping system that functions in the exchange of liquid food among members of the same colony in the higher ants. In both honeybees and ants, newly fed workers often press offerings of ingluvial food on nestmates without being begged, and they may go so far as to expend their supply to a level below the colony average.

2) These diverse physiological and behavioral responses are difficult to interpret in any way except as altruistic adaptations that have evolved through the agency of natural selection operating at the colony level. The list by no means exhausts the phenomena that could be placed in the same category.

Adapted from: Edward O. Wilson: The Insect Societies. Harvard University Press 1971, p.321.