Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Come on Ironworkers, gimmie some of dat good good lovin' (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89434)

Arledrian 02-27-2004 03:52 AM

So tonight I've been following through with more extensive and far-reaching research into the effects of ethanol on the brain and social behaviour.

After five pints of Heineken and several gin and tonics, I am no further in my experimentation, since I have formulated the same conclusion as the last time I drunk myself to oblivion: it really messes you up, and makes you overly affectionate.

So come on everyone, I'm wasted and we all know what that means - drunken group hug.

*Cuddles everyone reading this, collapsing onto them helplessly*

Kakero 02-27-2004 04:08 AM

* sniff sniff *

Man you are drunk, go get a bath. and please and don't hug me in front of the public. it's embarassing. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Arledrian 02-27-2004 04:12 AM

Sniff me, hug me, it's all good my man. I'll take lurve in whatever form tonight.

Grojlach 02-27-2004 04:21 AM

Sorry, I'm already at the "God my head hurts, need large quantities of cafeine and more than just a purifying shower" stage - you know, a timezone thing. I'll save the hugs for another occasion. ;)

Arledrian 02-27-2004 04:31 AM

Señor Grohl, it is no secret that the best cure for a hangover is more alcohol. Let me buy you a beer and then we'll see how you feel about the whole hugging thing after that.

Jorath Calar 02-27-2004 05:44 AM

Drinking more alcohol is no cure for a hangover, it's just prolonging the symptoms... But when you are drunk you don't care so it doesn't reallly matter anyway... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Dragonshadow 02-27-2004 05:58 AM

*pats Arledrian's sholder* Um... go have some more beer... you haven't passed out yet, still too sober. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

johnny 02-27-2004 06:21 AM

Keep up the good work, young Padawan. :D

Epona 02-27-2004 06:55 AM

Now I've never used the excuse of research before.

Thinking about it, I only have one excuse - I'm a pisshead :D

Bokken 02-27-2004 08:01 AM

Quick get the hose on him! Actually line Johnny up next to him also.

On second thought, with Johnny in the picture I don't think we got enough cold water! hehe

uss 02-27-2004 09:02 AM

Man, you are hopeless :D

Well, keep at it as scientific research has proven that further consuming alcohol can only reduce the effects of previously taken large quantities of alcohol [img]tongue.gif[/img]

How strong is Heineken by percentage of alcohol anyway? We've got about 8% of alcohol in beer, the highest being about 11% and 6% being considered light.

Cloudbringer 02-27-2004 09:16 AM

Hey Ale-drain, you sobered up yet? ;) :D

Good morning, or afternoon, Grojikins! Wake up...oops, if it's a nice sunny day, you might want to cover your eyes til you've had some orange juice and a little time to digest the painkillers for that hangover!

You know I saw some guy on television claim that putting cucumbers or lemons under one's arms the morning after a drinking fest would avoid hangovers....not sure I buy that one. Maybe one of you guys should do the 'research', hmmm? :D :D

Son of Osiris 02-27-2004 09:18 AM

*Shoves him off*

Get off me, you drunken bastard!

Vaskez 02-27-2004 11:30 AM

Hmmm I was out last night too. With a bunch of chinese students among others, there were like 25 of us. And you know how lightweight far-easterners are. Hmmm the overly affectionate thing comes in although one guy was taking it a bit far like putting heads in other guy's laps face down - even if it is because he was falling unconscious. They were also doing this wierd (chinese?) thing where they bit each other's forearms. Hmmmmm.

But Aledrain you lightweight! 5 pints and a few gin and tonics and you're as drunk as a monkey?!

Epona 02-27-2004 11:43 AM

I bet someone's head hurts today! :D

Stratos 02-27-2004 12:05 PM

You type surprisingly well for being drunk, Arledrian. I must commend you for that. What's your secret?

Ladyzekke 02-27-2004 12:21 PM

I hope you didn't get a DWS (Drinking While Sleighing). [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Illumina Drathiran'ar 02-27-2004 01:40 PM

This is where I ruin your fun by informing you that you become overy affectionate because all of your inhibitions are lowered.
Normally I don't spoil fun, but I sort of frown on drunkenness. But that's just me.

And ethanol is a corn-based fuel.

Cloudbringer 02-27-2004 02:03 PM

LOL, wondered if anyone would tell him what ethanol was! :D

drew_jarvie 02-27-2004 02:27 PM

Ethanol is in beer. Another name for alcohol. IF you're trying to say its not, pay more attention in chemistry [img]smile.gif[/img]

Vaskez 02-27-2004 02:49 PM

Yeah Ilumina and Cloudy, what are you two on about? What was wrong with the way Aledrain used the word "ethanol"? IIRC C2H50H is ethanol(imagine the numbers are subscript), the 2nd most basic type of alcohol and it is found in alcoholic beverages. What you on about corn-based fuel for Illumina?

Lord 02-27-2004 03:41 PM

At least you're sober enough to type, Arledrian [img]tongue.gif[/img] .
*Hopes this doesn't turn into a scientific conversation* [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Arledrian 02-27-2004 05:47 PM

Oh god... sorry folks.

Cloudbringer 02-27-2004 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Vaskez:
Yeah Ilumina and Cloudy, what are you two on about? What was wrong with the way Aledrain used the word "ethanol"? IIRC C2H50H is ethanol(imagine the numbers are subscript), the 2nd most basic type of alcohol and it is found in alcoholic beverages. What you on about corn-based fuel for Illumina?
That's the most common use of the word where I come from- ethanol is used as a fuel, not to describe alcoholic beverages, that's all. :D

Gangrell 02-27-2004 08:21 PM

I'll have to do some kind of experiment on this or something, how do drunk people still have perfect typing? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Arledrian 02-27-2004 08:30 PM

I can type just fine when I'm drunk. I just can't talk or stand up very well.

Vaskez 02-27-2004 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Gangrell:
I'll have to do some kind of experiment on this or something, how do drunk people still have perfect typing? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Simple, they just take 10 times as long to type. It's a well known fact that when you're drunk you can either do things you normally do really badly at normal speed or as well as normal at 1/10th speed. Or something. :D I bet Aledrain fell asleep and woke up a few times between starting and click post on that message :D

Arledrian 02-27-2004 09:02 PM

Quote:

I bet Aledrain fell asleep and woke up a few times between starting and click post on that message :D
Nope, but I did fall asleep behind my laptop here for about three hours before waking up and crawling into bed for the rest of the night. Hate when that happens [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Illumina Drathiran'ar 02-28-2004 01:12 AM

Quote:

::lifts a shoulder:: I pick up strange bits of information. If said bits are incorrect, I make note of when I am corrected.
Upon minimal research, I discovered that ethanol is in fact alcohol.
Can't think of a better fuel than that, anyway.
You scored a hit. I'll mind it doesn't happen again, hm?
(Read: I was wrong. Dammit. I simply must be more careful in the future.)

Epona 02-28-2004 01:59 AM

Some more ethanol information:

Alcohol contains ethanol and small amounts of methanol. Your body breaks down the ethanol first, and this is fairly painless as it's not as toxic. Once all the ethanol is gone, you start to break down the methanol. This is a toxic process and results in a hangover. If you have another drink while you are hungover, your body starts again on the new ethanol and the hangover goes away, but only until your body starts on the methanol again. This is why hair of the dog works, but only temporarily.

The best remedy for a hangover is to eat eggs - eggs contain some sort of enzyme which deals with the more toxic elements of methanol breakdown and can relieve the worst effects of a hangover.

Or something like that.

Gangrell 02-28-2004 02:05 AM

I thought the best cure for a hangover was to drink plenty of water the night before so you don't actually have one.

Epona 02-28-2004 02:13 AM

Yep that combats the dehydration.

*goes off to drink water*
*needs to pee*

Arledrian 02-28-2004 02:16 AM

Gangrell, there is no one way to deal with a hangover, everyone does it differently, but what you said is actually a good method, I've done it several times and it does help a lot. My own personal cure is to jump into a freezing cold swimming pool or the sea - it shocks the hangover out of you, instantly. I didn't believe someone when they told me this a while back, and then tried it once after I'd been out drinking, and was instantly okay again. Amazing stuff.

Kakero 02-28-2004 03:20 AM

No need to jump into a freezing cold swimming ppol or the sea. Getting an ice cold bath is good enough to deal with hangover. Unless of course the water system over there is different....

Kaltia 02-28-2004 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Arledrian:
So tonight I've been following through with more extensive and far-reaching research into the effects of ethanol on the brain and social behaviour.

After five pints of Heineken and several gin and tonics, I am no further in my experimentation, since I have formulated the same conclusion as the last time I drunk myself to oblivion: it really messes you up, and makes you overly affectionate.

So come on everyone, I'm wasted and we all know what that means - drunken group hug.

*Cuddles everyone reading this, collapsing onto them helplessly*

Need any kebabs, y'silly sod?

Long time no see, Alex :D

Arledrian 02-28-2004 02:52 PM

I like dem kebabs, I do. I'm always ravenous after drinking. Most times, I could eat a horse... mmm, horse...

But good to see you Kat, hope you're holdin' up okay [img]smile.gif[/img]

Kaltia 02-28-2004 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Arledrian:
I like dem kebabs, I do. I'm always ravenous after drinking. Most times, I could eat a horse... mmm, horse...

But good to see you Kat, hope you're holdin' up okay [img]smile.gif[/img]

I am indeed, and I am currently prodding you with the self-satisfied air of someone who bought a bottle of Russian Vodka back with her yet drunk none at all, muaha. Ha. *Ahem*

Vaskez 02-28-2004 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Vaskez:

::lifts a shoulder:: I pick up strange bits of information. If said bits are incorrect, I make note of when I am corrected.
Upon minimal research, I discovered that ethanol is in fact alcohol.
Can't think of a better fuel than that, anyway.
You scored a hit. I'll mind it doesn't happen again, hm?
(Read: I was wrong. Dammit. I simply must be more careful in the future.)
</font>[/QUOTE]Hehe, ok at least you're woman enough to admit mistakes [img]smile.gif[/img] Most people don't realise that there are actually hundreds of different chemical compounds classed as alcohol, the most basic of which is methanol which consists of a carbon atom surrounded by 3 hydrogen atoms and an oxygen and hydrogen atom joined on as well. Ethanol is the next smallest molecule with 2 carbon atoms and again surrounded by hydrogens and a single oxygen-hydrogen pair. Then propanol with 3 carbon atoms, butanol, pentanol, hexanol etc. etc. these are all alcohols. Learnt that in chemistry :D
They are not that different chemically to Methane, Ethane etc. which are the same except there is another hydrogen atom instead of the oxygen-hydrogen pair. It's amazing what one can remember after 4 years!

Davros 02-28-2004 07:37 PM

OK Vasky :D - what is Alpha 1-4 Gluco pyranosyl Beta D Fructo furanoside?

Bungleau 02-28-2004 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Epona:
Yep that combats the dehydration.

*goes off to drink water*
*needs to pee*

ROTFLMAO! That hit me just right! :D