Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   yay! im soo happy! i dont like childish stuff! (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79394)

uss 06-12-2002 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Moni:

OK I'll give American Psycho a try [img]smile.gif[/img]
I've seen Fight Club a couple of times, it is an awesome movie!
I recommend "Benny and Joon" to any Depp fan if they haven't seen it. Its a plain kind of story, almost cutsie if you will, but Johnny Depp is brilliant, you'll love it. :D "Ed Wood" is another :D

The Usual Suspects I just missed on cable (more than once)
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels...haven't seen that one either, will add them both to the list . :D Thanks!

yeah, ive seen both. Benny and Joon was a bit girlish but funny and pretty good [img]smile.gif[/img] . Ed Wood was a cool movie. based on a true story too [img]smile.gif[/img] !
The Usual Suspects is an action movie, but its diffirent from the boring "i will go and kill 1000 soldiers" crap like Commando was. the ending is most original [img]smile.gif[/img] . Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels is like the prologue of Snatch. its made by the same director and has most of the same actors(*sob* no Brad Pitt).

Melusine 06-12-2002 07:08 AM

Hmm.. I must say I found Quills a bit disappointing as a portrayal of Sade and his times... it was an enjoyable movie (though weird?? Nah, if you want weird, read his books [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) but not spectacularly overwhelming. Geoffrey Rush's a good actor and I love Kate Winslet, but they shouldn't have marketed it as a (fictional) movie on De Sade.

Snatch was great fun, though - Pitt *is* a good actor. The same goes for Depp, by the way - you're right Moni, he's very versatile. I saw Sleepy Hollow a while ago, that was marvelous. I'm a big fan of Miranda Richardson, the actress who, among other things, played Queenie in Blackadder, Queen Mab in Merlin and the stepmother in Sleepy Hollow, so that was an added bonus to the great actors Christina Ricci and Johnny Depp.
Um uss... I have to disagree about the Ninth Gate though... what a laughable, stupid movie that was! BAD, bad plot and unconvincing acting... yuck.
Brazil is fantastic, Epona!! Wow... I need to check out the few movies you mention that I haven't seen, because all the others are my own favourites as well.
Twelve Monkeys was great as well, I really liked that one.
Dogma was good for a laugh, though it should not be taken too seriously.
I was VERY impressed by Memento, the plot is truly refreshing and the way it's been worked out is amazing. Best movie I've seen in ages!

Now, as for recommendations:
Le Pacte Des Loups (The Brotherhood of the Wolf) - do a search see my review in the books/movies forum here or on Panda if you're interested.

Lost Highway by David Lynch... my all time favourite, have seen it over ten times... Great soundtrack, fantastic, bewildering plot (I think I have it figured out after the tenth time though! LOL)
Oh and Hugh? WTF is YOUR name???

Fire Walk With Me, another David Lynch, prequel to Twin Peaks... very freaky.

Eyes Wide Shut by Kubrick... I love Nicole Kidman... very weird movie this.

A Clockwork Orange, another Kubrick - goes without saying this is a classic.

A Shallow Grave - hilariously funny at times, nasty at others - features Ewan McGregor.

Pi - uss is right - very interesting movie, quite original.

Well, I have lots more favourites but I think the above-mentioned would be considered the more 'freaky'/original ones.

uss 06-12-2002 07:19 AM

oh, one more movie-
"Truman Show"! its a drama. though the main actor is Jim Carey, who does everykinds of jokes(i hated Ace Ventura), this movie is serious and well made. acting is great.
btw, what is the best acting youve ever seen? mine is Requiem: For A Dream, Ellen Burstyn(Jared Leto`s mother. the "im gonna be on television" creepy old woman). she had a really tough role and acted in it perfectly.

Melusine 06-12-2002 07:26 AM

Ooh yeah, the Truman Show!! It's so sad :(
Carrey is so good at being silly and dead serious at the same time... good one, uss!!

Downunda 06-12-2002 07:31 AM

The Shawshank Redemption is a really good movie. One of my favs that I usually forget about.

Moni 06-12-2002 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Melusine:

Now, as for recommendations:
Le Pacte Des Loups (The Brotherhood of the Wolf) - do a search see my review in the books/movies forum here or on Panda if you're interested.

Lost Highway by David Lynch... my all time favourite, have seen it over ten times... Great soundtrack, fantastic, bewildering plot (I think I have it figured out after the tenth time though! LOL)
Oh and Hugh? WTF is YOUR name???

Fire Walk With Me, another David Lynch, prequel to Twin Peaks... very freaky.

Eyes Wide Shut by Kubrick... I love Nicole Kidman... very weird movie this.

A Clockwork Orange, another Kubrick - goes without saying this is a classic.

A Shallow Grave - hilariously funny at times, nasty at others - features Ewan McGregor.

Pi - uss is right - very interesting movie, quite original.

Well, I have lots more favourites but I think the above-mentioned would be considered the more 'freaky'/original ones.

Three more for my list [img]smile.gif[/img] Thanks Melusine!

I've seen Eyes Wide Shut. weird yes but I didn't enjoy a minute of it...it was one of those nights when I was bored and it was on cable.

Clockwork Orange...I've seen this one too I am sure. Its been so long I don't even remember it so it must not have made an impression lol.

A Shallow Grave lol Ewan McGregor was great. I liked this one enough to watch it twice and to get KHaN to watch it with me the second time. He tripped out on it much the same way I did the first time I saw it. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Pi, yes interesting is the word [img]smile.gif[/img] Very good movie!

Thanks for the additions! I know I'll be hitting the local Blockbuster this weekend...probably Sunday since we have Friday and Saturday open for shopping in the city and (of course) hitting our favorite restaurants while we are there. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Xero279 06-13-2002 02:05 AM

rent clockwork orange.. its one messed up movie lol

Moni 06-13-2002 02:08 AM

I just may since I don't remember it [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

uss 06-13-2002 06:44 AM

oh, one more came to my mind..
have you seen the movie Virgin Suicides? if you want a good and sad movie, watch it [img]smile.gif[/img] .
ahh, yesterday 2-4 a.m. i watched Fight Club. Such a good movie [img]smile.gif[/img] !

Lord Shield 06-13-2002 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Melusine:
Ooh yeah, the Truman Show!! It's so sad :(
Carrey is so good at being silly and dead serious at the same time... good one, uss!!

Yeah, I saw that [img]smile.gif[/img] . After Jim Carey's last films, though, I was surprised to learn he could actually act! :D :D