Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   What did you want to be when your older? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85903)

Kaltia 05-11-2003 04:55 PM

I want to be an English teacher.

WillowIX 05-11-2003 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Attalus:
I wanted to be a doctor. Roger, that. I wanted to marry Galadria. That happened, too. Now, I want to be a published writer. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
I'll just change Galadria to Stephen and remove the published write part and what's left above is what I would have said. I would like to change the published writer part to what Charlie said. :D

Melusine 05-11-2003 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Vaskez:
What, my older? *sigh*
[img]tongue.gif[/img]

LOL Vask, might as well give up - it's a lost case. But I think it's great your putting in the effort of trying to point out that annoying and stupid mistake time and time again ;) :D :D

Vaskez 05-11-2003 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
I've wanted to be a teacher, writer, interior decorator, pharmacist. Now I want to be a clinical psychologist. But I am having a lot of fun doing my research project! I love feeling like I own my hypotheses and my theory and my experimental design. I am seriously thinking of doing a PhD instead of masters and becoming a researcher.
Doing a master's doesn't rule you out of doing a PhD. I'm doing a master's and haven't decided yet if I want to do a PhD or not. It's tempting but I don't think I'd be motivated enough to research the same thing for 3 years... well I've got another year to think about it. Also there is the small matter of getting a 1st class degree which I have to work harder for :D

Mel - I know I know..... can't resist - guess it gives me a false sense of intelligence :D ... what, my putting? :D

Aelia Jusa 05-11-2003 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Vaskez:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
I've wanted to be a teacher, writer, interior decorator, pharmacist. Now I want to be a clinical psychologist. But I am having a lot of fun doing my research project! I love feeling like I own my hypotheses and my theory and my experimental design. I am seriously thinking of doing a PhD instead of masters and becoming a researcher.

Doing a master's doesn't rule you out of doing a PhD. I'm doing a master's and haven't decided yet if I want to do a PhD or not. It's tempting but I don't think I'd be motivated enough to research the same thing for 3 years... well I've got another year to think about it. Also there is the small matter of getting a 1st class degree which I have to work harder for :D
</font>[/QUOTE]Yes I know, what I mean is, going straight into a PhD instead of doing a Masters first. I don't want to spend TOO many years at uni! ;) Also to be a clinical psychologist you do a coursework masters, with the bulk of it supervised counselling, not a research masters. Oh well. Have to get 1st class honours first, or I won't even get the option ;)

Yeah that's the trick, making sure your topic is interesting and sufficiently deep to do it for three years (or more!). My brother is actually doing a PhD in computer science, and he says after 3 years it's really getting boring and unmotivating (he's still working on it ;) ). I think that wouldn't be too much of a problem with me though. My honours thesis is on spelling (something near and dear to your heart I know [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) and I'm finding it so interesting!

Seraph 05-11-2003 11:30 PM

Well, when I was 5 I wanted to become a teacher. Then at some point I decided I wanted to be a scientist. Then when I found out that an engineer wasn't just someone who drove a train, I thought I might do that. Now that I'm in college for Engineering I'm pretty sure I want to go to law school when I graduate.

machinehead 05-12-2003 01:49 AM

Retired! ;)

dark_angel_of_mine 05-12-2003 02:41 AM

***stands with hands on hips defiant look on face....i aint never gonna grow up...out maybe ..but not up. lol anyway i always wanted to be a truck driver when i was a kid then it went to race car driver then a drummer hmmm took band in school wouldnt let a girl play drums made me play the clarinet i still get ticked when i think about that..sorry i drifted off subject again...i ended up getting married at 17 never going back to school and yes i regret it everyday...but to answer your question in todays world technology is the way to go in my opinion.

Bungleau 05-12-2003 09:51 AM

Turns out my brother and I have the same future in mind... continuing to write books on our own tropical island, calm and peaceful with just enough civilization to keep things going.

Until I get there, I am continuing to work in computers, and getting ready for (a) the second edition of the technical book I wrote and (b) a second technical book that I need to finish fleshing out.

Unfortunately, those are targeted at such a small market that the only tropical island they'll get for me is a lump of sod in a mud puddle [img]smile.gif[/img]

Still, it's a start...