Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wizards & Warriors Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Collapsed stairway in first crypt (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32979)

bsftcs 03-31-2005 06:38 AM

I am not sure exactly what you mean. As to the entrance of the crypt you just have to flip the lever again to get out. If you are referring to the two underwater grates at Rethpian's place they can be opened by levers from the tomb side once you have been through the Asylum.

If you are talking about the closed grate by the Kerah statue you are indeed in trouble. I remember that you could not find the receptacle which starts the elevator. And that way you cannot get the medallion with the necessary inscription that will open that grate. I seem to recall a post by Radek some time ago telling that even though one reads the inscription aloud one has to have the medallion present in one's inventory. If that is the case and you cannot get to the Asylum then you are in trouble. You can either 1) hack the medallion into your inventory or 2) send one of the board regulars a saved game via e-mail where you have retrieved the kay crystal and are standing in front of where the receptacle should be. Then we can activate the elevator for you, save the game and send it back to you. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 03-31-2005, 06:46 AM: Message edited by: bsftcs ]

DinkumThinkum 04-03-2005 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by bsftcs:
Jumping the stairway is indeed possible. You can also stack a bridge across it using a crate.
You guys are great! :D I just started working through the crypt, and my party was getting loaded down with loot. I wanted to get out and sell stuff before I got encumbered, and your comment about a bridge showed me the way. Piled up a couple of barrels, a broken barrel, and a treasure chest, then ran and jumped and made it out.

Considering that I'm usually no good at stuff like that in games and consider it about as much fun as being the center of attention in a medieval torture chamber, I'm rather proud of myself. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Glad this thread was still near the top of the forum.

Wyvern 04-03-2005 11:36 AM

HUrrah!! ;)

It is very useful knowing how to get out of the early areas of the crypt to sell the items you've found. I didn't learn to make "ladders" out of crates and chests until later in the game when I first played. ;)

Wyv

DinkumThinkum 04-09-2005 04:15 AM

Just out of curiousity: are the crates, barrels, etc. all over the place good for anything besides building materials?

I've smashed some of them, but never found anything inside them; now I just ignore them if I don't need them for bridges, blocking things, etc.

(Didn't think this was worth starting a new thread, and it is sort of related. :D )

Bungleau 04-09-2005 10:02 AM

As long as it's different, there's no problem starting a new thread. IW doesn't charge by the thread [img]smile.gif[/img]

Occasionally, you will find things in chests. Money, potions, arrows, armor... it's hard to say. In the beginning of the game, it's usually worth breaking every chest. By the end, I generally don't care any more.

DinkumThinkum 04-09-2005 01:30 PM

You have just cursed me... :D

In one of the Might and Magic games (might have been M&M VI), I was clicking on various things trying to figure out how to open a door in a temple, and found 5000 gold pieces hidden in a torch. This was early in the game, and probably more money than my characters had ever seen before.

End result is I wasted hours running around that rather large temple clicking on every torch I could find, and for the rest of the game I found it hard to resist clicking on other torches just in case. :(

Never did find any more loot hidden like that, but other posters in the rpg newsgroup mentioned finding gold in bushes, rocks, etc. in that and other M&M games.

So I will now probably end up spending half my life in the Gael Serran smashing crates and barrels to pieces... I'm doomed! :D

DinkumThinkum 04-09-2005 03:22 PM

Aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh....

The very first barrel I smashed after reading your post had a Cure Poison potion in it. None of the others I smashed earlier had anything in them, which is why I had stopped bothering with them.

Well, the Crypt is full of barrels and crates, so that should keep me busy for a while. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Bungleau 04-09-2005 08:37 PM

LOL! Ain't that the way it happens? :D

BTW, there *is* a trick to the hidden stuff in the MM games. If you moused over the item so its description would display on the bottom of the screen (torch, for example, or rock). If the description started with a capital letter, however (Torch or Rock), then it contained a hidden something.

The torch you mention is in MM6... as is a Tree in Castle Ironfist, a Rock in New Sorpigal (was that the first town?), and a few others like that [img]smile.gif[/img]

bsftcs 04-10-2005 06:27 AM

Smashed crates will stack just as well as unsmashed. So smash away... You can still use them for stacking purposes. [img]smile.gif[/img]

DinkumThinkum 04-10-2005 09:16 AM

I'd discovered that broken barrels, etc. stack as well as whole ones. I just stopped smashing things because I never found anything inside, and decided that breaking things didn't have any real use in the game.

After Bungleau's post here, I went back through the crypt smashing things, and did find some loot: potions, money bags, stuff to sell, a pair of pants for one of my characters to wear under her robes.

Nothing major, but definitely helpful. [img]smile.gif[/img]