Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Is the Avatar series good? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39503)

Ken Rauhl 04-15-2003 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Luvian:

I also liked the Drizzt series in the first novels, but now, I feel like the series has become boring. The good guys are always winning. Nothing bad ever happen to them, I might as well watch the Smurf or Road Runner, it's the same thing but with different characters. Drizzt (as is Liriel) is too perfect. He is a drow, can't he at least have some flaws? I find reading about a perfect character to be uninteresting. I just can't associate to him. I am sometime greedy, I am sometime selfish, I sometime would like to hit people who annoy me, I am human. So I can't associate myself to a deva whith black skin and pointy ears.

well, u have to consider the fact that he is enarmored of his friends. THAT was how he survived through the early part of his years when he was shun away everywhere. I believe he would either die of loneliness of his existence or became mean, at least cold and unreachable, and eventually led to misunderstanding with him and other goodly races, then he would be hunted down and killed.

ok, why does any of us want to read about that? true, a person rejected his evil kins but was not accepted by other races due to the common knowledge they had about all dark elves. then the guy got killed in the end. very very likely to happen, it is cynical, and it is true. but why would I want to read that? it is the lucky part of the book that by chance, which was greatly made possible by Drizzt's series of right and painful choices, that he stumbled across someome as fierce, loyal and fatherly as Bruenor Battlehammer.

with such friendship and such trusting placed in him, if any wickedness was in is heart, his errors would strive to improve themselves at the presence of these friends.

but anyways, someone like Drizzt's gonna get it someday, I am very sure of that.

RevRuby 04-15-2003 07:30 PM

that's like saying Elminster is going to get it someday, i'd love to see it but as long as Greenwood has creative ownership of Elminster and Salvatore controls Drizzt then the characters will come to no lasting harm, in sea of swords I really wanted drizzt to die, just to end the series, and give the author a fresh group of adventurers to work with.

Ken Rauhl 04-15-2003 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by RevRuby:
that's like saying Elminster is going to get it someday, i'd love to see it but as long as Greenwood has creative ownership of Elminster and Salvatore controls Drizzt then the characters will come to no lasting harm, in sea of swords I really wanted drizzt to die, just to end the series, and give the author a fresh group of adventurers to work with.
no, it is not like saying elminster is going to get it. elminster... well, all the naked females ruined it. it has to do with the ways of building a character. Drizzt is getting more and more noble and righteous with the growing time he spent with his friends.

lets just say such righteousness and goodness has a tendency to expeire tragically.

Luvian 04-16-2003 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ken Rauhl:
</font><blockquote>Quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Luvian:

I also liked the Drizzt series in the first novels, but now, I feel like the series has become boring. The good guys are always winning. Nothing bad ever happen to them, I might as well watch the Smurf or Road Runner, it's the same thing but with different characters. Drizzt (as is Liriel) is too perfect. He is a drow, can't he at least have some flaws? I find reading about a perfect character to be uninteresting. I just can't associate to him. I am sometime greedy, I am sometime selfish, I sometime would like to hit people who annoy me, I am human. So I can't associate myself to a deva whith black skin and pointy ears.

well, u have to consider the fact that he is enarmored of his friends. THAT was how he survived through the early part of his years when he was shun away everywhere. I believe he would either die of loneliness of his existence or became mean, at least cold and unreachable, and eventually led to misunderstanding with him and other goodly races, then he would be hunted down and killed.

ok, why does any of us want to read about that? true, a person rejected his evil kins but was not accepted by other races due to the common knowledge they had about all dark elves. then the guy got killed in the end. very very likely to happen, it is cynical, and it is true. but why would I want to read that? it is the lucky part of the book that by chance, which was greatly made possible by Drizzt's series of right and painful choices, that he stumbled across someome as fierce, loyal and fatherly as Bruenor Battlehammer.

with such friendship and such trusting placed in him, if any wickedness was in is heart, his errors would strive to improve themselves at the presence of these friends.

but anyways, someone like Drizzt's gonna get it someday, I am very sure of that.
</font>[/QUOTE]I can see the main difference in our opinion. You seem to like fantasies of Shining heroes and Twisted vilains, while I like reading about characters who are all shades of gray. I like it when they die and suffer and have a hard time. I don't like it when all is happy.

Basically, I only really love novels which give me strong emotions. George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire got me mad and pissed, but unable to stop reading out of a wish of revenge, and beacause of the realistic and rich world he created. Sara Douglass's Axis and Wayfarer: Redemption trilogies made me cry,...

As for Drizzt? Well... nothing. It's just another fantasy novel with an invincible and perfect hero. Even death is not enough to stop him and his friend, how could I be nervous?

So I guess I'm really into "Dark Fantasy".

But I still have to give credit to R.A. Salvatore. He is a good writer, it's just that his style is not what I am looking for anymore. From 1 to 10, I'd still give him a 6 or 7, while my favorite novel would get a 8-9.