Ironworks Gaming Forum

Ironworks Gaming Forum (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005) (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Do you all not english people use an dictionary? (http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88682)

Bozos of Bones 12-06-2003 06:23 PM

I, as in "myself". In old british english you, myself, he and the like was all spelled with a capital first letter(You, Myself, He...) indicating a person. Only "I" and "He" remain today, one meaning "me", the other "God".

Yorick 12-06-2003 08:18 PM

Megabot... if you write wery instead of Very one more time, I think I'm going to completely lose it.

Haven't people told you before?? V E R Y, not w. V. The english W is an ooah sound, whereas V is the voiced F. (F with a note from your vocal chords)

Think Ferry with a voiced F. VERY.

The way you're writing it, wery sounds like ooerry.

Jorath Calar 12-06-2003 10:51 PM

I bet he's wery sorry Yorick... [img]graemlins/hidesbehindsofa.gif[/img] :D

Davros 12-07-2003 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Megabot:
Yeah do you? I dont even have one so maybe that is why my spelling is bad lol :D
Strewth cobber, I'm with you blue - I'm no pom either as you can prolly tell and trust me matey that's fair dinkum. I gets buy just bonzer without no diction-fairy, they just aren't all that VERY much needed in these parts heareabouts. If yer havin trouble with the English pal then you could perraps give "strine" a go [img]smile.gif[/img] .

WillowIX 12-07-2003 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Yorick:
Haven't people told you before?? V E R Y, not w. V. The english W is an ooah sound, whereas V is the voiced F. (F with a note from your vocal chords)

Ooh phonetics. But "ooah"? [img]tongue.gif[/img] :D LOL *cough* English *cough*

Megabot, if you worry about your spelling then install IeSpell. [img]smile.gif[/img] You will be able to check your spelling, not your grammar though, before you post.

Stratos 12-07-2003 07:57 AM

Be wary of wery, Megabot.

Donut 12-07-2003 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Davros:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Megabot:
Yeah do you? I dont even have one so maybe that is why my spelling is bad lol :D

Strewth cobber, I'm with you blue - I'm no pom either as you can prolly tell and trust me matey that's fair dinkum. I gets buy just bonzer without no diction-fairy, they just aren't all that VERY much needed in these parts heareabouts. If yer havin trouble with the English pal then you could perraps give "strine" a go [img]smile.gif[/img] . </font>[/QUOTE]We make allowances for those of you who don't have english as their first language Davros!

Donut 12-07-2003 08:02 AM

"Do you all not english people use an dictionary? "

Thankfully there is an tax on syn in english

[ 12-07-2003, 08:03 AM: Message edited by: Donut ]

Davros 12-07-2003 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Donut:
We make allowances for those of you who don't have english as their first language Davros!
Thasverdecenovyu yeragoodsortreelynnotabitstuckup [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

On a side note - I see we are satrting to replenish our trophy cabinet. Davis Cup (Tennis) and Champions Trophy (Women's Hockey) since we last talked [img]smile.gif[/img] .

[ 12-07-2003, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: Davros ]

slicer15 12-07-2003 12:40 PM

Yeah, people who learn English as a second language learn all the rules of grammar, whereas most people who learn English as a second language don't. I know I have no idea about the names of certain words and the basic structure of a sentence, yet I simply know how to write one. It's the same with my German - I can speak and write it fine (though I have a little difficulty with the grammar) but I have no clue on the rules of how to structure a German sentence.